Fly Fishing Forum banner

St Johns USVI - Any fish here lately?

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  viflyer 
#1 ·
Going down for about a week in January - going to try out my new 8 wt (thanks to all the suggestions on my other post - went with the Sage xi2 complemented with the Tibor Everglades reel). Any suggestions on where to fish? I'm assuming the regulars (bones, poon, snook) are around? I'll be staying in Maho Bay. Thanks!

DC

#3 ·
Rod

Hi I followed the thread you started with interest as I am having the same dilemma with regards to picking an 8 wt for bone fishing on Acklins this coming year. I intend to make my own but cannot decide which blank to use, the choice is being made even harder with not being able to test cast anything before hand.
What finally made you decide on the Sage Xi2? How did it compare to others that you tried ?
Best of luck for your upcoming trip, Trev

#4 ·
Trev -

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to one of my local fly shops and test-drive it outside on their lawn. His was rigged up with an Abel Super 8 reel which looked great, but he didn't have any in stock. I'm not quite sure what kind-of line he had on (I think it was Rio?) but it loaded up quickly with little effort and I shot out like a cannon! He also recommended the Loomis GLX and the Winston Boron IIx, but he did not have them in the store. I decided I like the Sage enough that it was worth the purchase. Hope this helps! If you get a chance definitely try tossing one around before you buy..

Regards,

DC

#6 ·
Haven't fished there since Feb of '01, but I did find bones, tarpon ,snook, jacks, grouper, snapper, cuda, cero macks, variety of weird reef stuff. My best spot overall was the bay by the Annaberg Ruins ( just over the hill from Maho) I also saw fish, but didn't hook up at Coral Bay ( very tough wading, got spined numerous times by urchins on the reef) Caught some very nice snook off the beach at the Westin and saw a bunch of tarpion and huge cudas there.

I looked at but never fished the west ? side- Rendezvous Bay, Fish Bay had lots of mangroves, but I was sure how wadeable they were- a kayak or small boat would be worth it there- untouched snook I would bet.:biggrin:

Took an 8 wt and 7 wt., only used the 8 wt. I did get one bone blind casting into a channel. The best fly for the week was a size two white yak hair clouser with pearl angel hair flash- everything ate that.

Great place- make sure to go to Freddy's in Cruz Bay and Skinny Legs in Coral Bay.

Let us know how you do.

#9 ·
titleguy said:
Haven't fished there since Feb of '01, but I did find bones, tarpon ,snook, jacks, grouper, snapper, cuda, cero macks, variety of weird reef stuff. My best spot overall was the bay by the Annaberg Ruins ( just over the hill from Maho) I also saw fish, but didn't hook up at Coral Bay ( very tough wading, got spined numerous times by urchins on the reef) Caught some very nice snook off the beach at the Westin and saw a bunch of tarpion and huge cudas there.

I looked at but never fished the west ? side- Rendezvous Bay, Fish Bay had lots of mangroves, but I was sure how wadeable they were- a kayak or small boat would be worth it there- untouched snook I would bet.:biggrin:

Took an 8 wt and 7 wt., only used the 8 wt. I did get one bone blind casting into a channel. The best fly for the week was a size two white yak hair clouser with pearl angel hair flash- everything ate that.

Great place- make sure to go to Freddy's in Cruz Bay and Skinny Legs in Coral Bay.

Let us know how you do.

Hey sent you a PM when you get a chance.

#10 ·
St. John

The flats behind (east) of Maho are very wadeable and easy to drive to. Park in the National Park lot (even have a bathroom). The flat holds bones, cuda and pup sharks. I've been most lucky wading west into the bay early in the morning with sun/current off my back. It's the most waded flat in the VI so the fish are easily spooked but they are there and the view of Tortola (BVI) is fantastic.

Johnson Bay holds a very nice flat (my favorite mostly because no one know's of it). Access as you drive to Coral Bay (over the mountain from Cruz Bay) and go right prior to Skinny Legs (GREAT beer stop). Shipwreak Landing (another great beer and burger stop) is on the right, go up over little hill and dirt road on left to access beach and flat (safe parking too). It's easy to spend time around the little island just as you enter the flat but walk to the south end along the exposed reef. I always find a school of bones plus singles at the end where the flat opens to the ocean. I take my time wading back and have the current and sun (if early in day) at my back. If you do not have a car a bus from Cruz Bay stops at Shipwreak for a buck (last time I did it).

If you go left past Skinny Legs just follow the coast till you reach a deadend. Along the coast are many mangroove areas that may hold snook and tarpon. It's easy to see birds working the shallows and a sure sign of tarpon. Be prepared for any size tarpon...mostly 20-40lbs but have raised some near 100.

Snook at the Westin is hit and miss. May find some big lady fish there as well especially off the dock. January should find lots of white bodied tourists in need of a tan on the Westin Beach so I'd go very early and early evening to miss the crowds.

The west side of St.John is not as easily accessed but if your willing to hike you will find good fishing but more importantly very beutiful scenery and few if any people.
Chocolate Hole, Fish Bay and Rendevous Bay all are good bets. If it's been raining be carefull on the slippery roads.

I always carry my Temple Fork 8wt. and floating line or with a clear sink tip for the deeper channels. There almost always is a nice, refreshing tropical breeze out of the east or north east (we call Christmas winds) which may challenge your casting ability. The tarpon in Coral Bay may require something heavier. I use a 10 wt.

Flies...I have had good success with #4 snapping shrimp, squidette, blind charlies and gotchas (eyes for channels). Clousers work for everything in #2 and 4 chartreuce and in tan. Simple crab patterns like merkins work for the occasional permit which is possible at Anneberg and Johnsons outside the break. I've ha succes with an orange clouser for small pup sharks as well.

Good luck and give me a call (I'm on St.Croix) if you need more info. Hell...I might be over on St.Thomas and can easily join you!

Virginfly
(340-773-1201)

#12 ·
Try the area at Mary's Creek by the old sugar mill ruins (not far from Maho Bay & Francis Bay). Park in the lot by the ruins and wade out along coral edges with sand and turtle grass areas. You'll see bonefish cruising across the sand first, and then you'll start seeing them better over the turtle grass. Bring plenty of leaders as the coral is everywhere. A weedless fly might be useful too. Sharks cruise this area as well so stay out of there when the sun is too low to see well.

#15 ·
Educated? Like maybe their PhD in spooky.

12' Leader, 4-6 lb tippet; flourocarbon is nice.

Small crab or shrimp fly. #4, #6. Small clouser. I like tan with a little white.

Dawn is good but never chase the fish. Let them come near you. Cast of 60' minimum.

OR, middle of the day, look for solitary or paired fish making mud. Throw the fly in the mud.

Finally, there is a fellow over there who has been fishing them for years. Can't remember his name, but he makes a small epoxy shrimp fly with a rattle that those fish used to love! Pretty big fly too.

You can catch those fish but it takes a lot of work and patience. I used to manage 1-3 per trip, including all my spots.

#17 ·
There used to be some nice schools of fish in Mangrove Lagoon in Red Hook, but I suspect they are all gone. Virgin Islanders will eat anything that swims at this point.
The Bonefish were pretty much wiped out here on St. Croix YEARS ago. Virgin Islanders are such conservation minded souls! We have so much beautiful Bonefish habitat on St. Croix and not a SINGLE fish to be seen. I remember back in the early 70's, we used to have parties down at longford on the South Shore and the fisherman would drag in their nets loaded with small Bonefish. They would just throw them up on the beach to die. No good to eat. Now they will even eat them if they can find one!

Do you know that Christiansted Harbor was one of Ted William's favorite places to fish for Bonefish back in the 50's?? He loved to stay in Christiansted town. They called the Bonefish 10 Pounders back then!! Ten pounders! Can you friggin believe that!!!

You run into some old guys that still call them that!

Oh well, Krouse Lagoon is an oil refinery! I sometimes immagine what an amazing Bonefish sport fishery we would have here today if Virgin Islanders cared a whit about their environment!! No thought of past, or the future. We taught them well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.