Fly Fishing Forum banner

Exuma Question

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
While my wife and I were in Floridat his year, we bumped into someone who raved about Exuma as being a great place for a couple (one non fishing) to go that offered things to do (exploring, kayaking, shelling etc.) as well as many DIY bonefishing possibilities.
The DIY is what I have a question about....reading this site I've read "horror" stories of restrictions on DIY and general harrasement by local guides. Is this true there? I really would prefer a non guided experience and just roam the island and do as I please. If this place is as was described to us, it would make a great 2nd mini vacation.
Comments greatly appreciated.
Ron

#2 ·
Guides will hassle you in even the most remote corners of that island. Even at the barbeque stand after dark if you are wearing flats clothing.

You can probably bring some stuff to bribe them into leaving you alone - like rods, lines etc.

Or you could sneak around avoiding them.

Were you thinking of the Peace and Plenty or the Four Seasons?

#3 ·
Peace and Plenty was one of the places recommended. Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated....the last thing that I want is to be hassled..just want a relaxing fun exploratory experience. If we decide to go, I guess the question is...if one desires to tolerate the hassling, is it "legal" to continue fishing or not..restrictions?

#4 ·
As far as I know it's still not 'illegal' but the guides association doesn't care about that when it comes to hassling DIY'ers.

Fish early and late, the guides like to head back to the lodges around 4pm - 4:30pm. If the tide is running the fish will be hot to trot then as well, we had our best fishing right then.

#5 ·
Fellas,

Sorry for the dumb question but I have spent very little time fishing down there and am curious to why guides are harrassing other fisherman????? What are they saying? What grounds do they have? Are most of the DIYers screwing up fishing for their paying clients?
This is completely foreign to me!

#6 ·
Bottom line is that guiding is how they feed their families....I guess harrasing DIY'ers is one way to make sure that going with a guide is the only option. I can't imagine anyone who loves FF and fishing would ever even consider doing something disrespectful to the environment. I'm just glad the the supermarkets here don't harrass me for planting my 1/2 dozen tomato plants. Reading this site, all that the action has resulted in, is that people in the know go somewhere else....and I would assume that that results in a hurt economy for other workers such as lodging, shopping, restaurants etc........not a great marketing plan IMHO.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.