Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mustad 94720 Hooks

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
I'm considering placing an order for a pack each of size 4 and 6 hooks, yet have no need for 100 of each. Anyone interested in splitting the packs 50/50? They retail for $10.75 per pack. These are 8XL streamer hooks, BTW.

#2 ·
Chris,

Save your money. Although they are 8XL hooks, they are fairly soft temper, have a strange hook eye (the shank is bent downward just in front of the hook eye), a very long barb, and a weak point. All this means that the hook is prone to bend when you have a good fish on.

Instead of this hook, why not get the Daichii 7XL Dick Talleur hook (model #2370)? Another good choice would be the 8XL Mike Martineck (sp?) hook or the Belvoirdale 8XL hook? These are far better hooks with good tempering, great eyes, and small barbs. You should be able to find them fairly easily on the east coast.

#4 ·
Chris,

Try Hunter's or American Angling Supply. Also, you can get Belvoirdale hooks directly from them via their website. Urban Angler right there in the New York City area probably has them too.

Partridge is the only one I am aware of making hooks longer than 8XL, it is the Carrie Stevens Streamer Hook that is 10XL; however, it only comes in 2/0, 2, and 4 and they are really huge hooks make of very think and heavy wire. The only flies I've ever seen tied on them that looked ballanced were trolling flies tied on the single hook instead of a tandem hook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.