Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dolphin

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  artb 
#1 ·
One of my favorite things to do in the summer here in NC (besides chasing tailing redfish) is to run offshore for dolphin on fly. It's pretty easy. You run out to an area around a Buoy called the "14 Buoy" that is on all the charts, about 20 miles, then look for the weeline that will be someplace betweenthere and the Gulf Stream. Sometimes we end up as far as 30 miles out. If the weeds are in a nice line or big mats you can actually sight cast to them. It is breathtaking to watch a dolphin streak out from under the weeds to nail a streamer or popper. This is the only decent photo that I have. When you get around them, the action gets pretty furious and you often forget to grab a photo. You guys that have decent sized boats can trailer them down here and have a great time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dolphin The Clown Prince

capt_gordon

With all due respect Sir In my opinion this is not sport but mans misuse of thisANIMALS natural iniqusitivness and desire to chase and play with things in its realm. As you youself said " Its pretty easy" In some parts of this world you would be in the slamer if observed in this practice:tsk_tsk: It would please a lot of people if you stuck to the redfish.

--------saltRon

#3 ·
;) Just a quick note, There is two kinds of Dolphins, The fish, the one I believe Capt. Gordon is talking about. They are also called, Mahi Mahi, they freguent the weed lines offshore. They also like to hang underneath the Hi-Fliers, they really are a great fish to catch on fly tackle. They run up to about 20 lbs, with the usual size of around 8 lbs, and will hit most any streamer fly. Boy when that fish gets excited they lit up to a beautiful, almost flourecent green.

#4 · (Edited)
Excuse me...

Um Salt Ron,
I was referring to dolphin (as referrred to by IGFA), mahi mahi in Hawaii (and most restaurants) and dorado (in Mexico). I am not going to chide you for your misinterpretation. Sorry if you misunderstood. They don't travel as far north as British Columbia.

#5 ·
;) Just a quick note, There is two kinds of Dolphins, The fish, the one I believe Capt. Gordon is talking about. They are also called, Mahi Mahi, they freguent the weed lines offshore. They also like to hang underneath the Hi-Fliers, they really are a great fish to catch on fly tackle. They run up to about 20 lbs, with the usual size of around 8 lbs, and will hit most any streamer fly. Boy when that fish gets excited they lit up to a beautiful, almost flourecent green. The mammal dolphin is like flipper, a bottle nose dolphin. Which I think Salt Ron was referring to.:)

#6 ·
Re: Excuse me...

capt_gordon said:
Um Salt Ron,
I was referring to dolphin (as referrred to by IGFA), mahi mahi in Hawaii (and most restaurants) and dorado (in Mexico). I am not going to chide you for your misinterpretation. Sorry if you misunderstood. They don't travel as far north as British Columbia.
Mistaken Identy

Captian Sir Please accept my appolgies For my post and missinterpation of you quest.

Mahi-Mahi Hawaiian For Strong-strong Dolphin fish.

-------saltron:)

#8 ·
Had a charter last winter in the Bahamas and we spent 3 hours looking for Dolphin (or Dorado) and Tuna.. struck out and then caught Barracuda and Jacks. My sons used spining rods and I used my 9 wt. Caught some nice Southern Albacore... Sure would like another crack at that bueatiful Green fish.

#9 ·
Southeast dolphin fishing

Dolphin fishing is great all along the southeast coast from NC to FL from May to August. Just pick a location and go for it. I usually go after them in August after I get back from Alaska. It's supposed to be really awesome in the Keys. I don't know of any other capts who specialize in flyfishing for them around here but I am pretty sure there are a couple in FL. NC and FL has easiest (i.e. shortest) access to bluewater. SC and GA are a long ride. Stuart to Palm Beach , FL has the very shortest rides. My buddy in Palm Beach Co. catches dolphin from his 14 foot flats boat when it's nice out. :eyecrazy:

#10 ·
DOLPHINFISH

capt_gordon

My error in my post regarding the fisherey for Dolphin caused me to look and see what I. could discover about the Mahi-Mahi, Dorado etc.
It would appear that the name Dolphin has cause greater problems than my blunder in this subject. The United Nations have designated a name for the true fish as Dolphinfish and the Bottle nose and White Sided Dolphin and possibly more that I do not recognize to Be the Dolphin.
Learning should be an every day event , had mine for the day

-----saltron

#11 ·
:) Sorry about the double post,I am use to e-mailing, hit tab, or enter to drop down a line. Enclosed I hope is the picture of a dolphin caught south of Block Island RI, about 20 miles. Offshore fishing is really a lot of fun, with whatever equipment one wants to use. One never knows what kind of fish you are going to catch. The problem is the cost. Even with a single engine one is talking around 100 gallons of gas for a 10 hour day offshore. Enclosed is a picture which I wish I could have made larger, but reduced it for restrictions, and can't seem to enlarge it again.:(

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.