Fly Fishing Forum banner

Shallow Water Boats

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bob Pauli 
#1 ·
My partner and I are looking for a shallow water boat. We want to avoid a jet, if a tunnel hull, such as used by the Florida flats skiffs, will do [almost] as well.

The experts on this board can help me by describing the approximate dimension of tunnels on hulls they are familiar with.

For example, a boat made in Oregon offers a tunnel 8" high by 18" wide. Since a typical prop is 12-13 inches in diameter [not including skeg], 8" does not seem adequate. A friend in Texas told me his Kenner's tunnel was 4" high. Seems too little to me.

What tunnel dimensions are used by Hewes and Hells Bay Boatworks in Florida area?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

#4 ·
Bob -

Pathfinder is one of the Maverick Family of boats, with Hewes and Maverick Boats. That should be easy to find!

Sweet ride, I am dreaming of one of these three boats for my own shallow water machine someday...

But I get the impression you are looking for tunnel dimensions from ocean flats boats to apply to qualifying logic for river sleds?

#5 ·
Juro

You are right. There is not a wealth of knowledge on the west coast about tunnel hulls, that I am able to find.

The east and gulf coasts appear to have the majority of experienced shallow water [and other] boat manufacturers.

All the shallow water rigs I have seen in CA, OR, B.C. are jets, and my thinking is that with tunnels a boater may experience the mechanical efficiency of a propeller, with [nearly] the shallow water capability of jets.

Yesterday I found a manufacturer that makes tunnel hull boats for jets. I guess that is the ultimate in shallow water capability.

Thank you for the Hewes/Maverick tip.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.