Fly Fishing Forum banner

2 wt 4 pc rod kits

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mattd 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a rod kit for a 2 wt 4 pc rod for under $100? This will be my first rod to build and I would like to just buy an all-in-one kit before I start wading through all the options. Batson enterprises has the blanks but I couldn't find a kit with the blank I wanted. I will probably just end up calling them and having them help me through the process of choosing all the pieces. With the selection they have it can be hard to know what to choose.

Thanks,
Matt

#3 · (Edited)
Any conventional or single foot wire guide set will work fine for that application. Just match it to your rod length when ordering. As for a a grip/seat. a blank of that length and weight begs for a LIGHT real seat. My personal prefference would be for a cork/wood sliding ring real seat with a fine tapered grip. However, a traditional nut lock seat is fine as long as the hardware is light weight/profile.

FWIW, I feel it's hard to go too wrong with Cabelas kits. $59 will get you a more than decient handle kit (prefitted), matched guide set , tip , winding checks, brushes, 3 colors of thread , epoxy and finish PLUS a spare IM 7 blank in your choice of length 7 weight. ( BTW, I actually preffer their finsih to Flex coat. It's hard to mess up and keeps in those foil pouches for a LONG time.)

!non-sponsor link removed

No affiliation but I have had allot of experience with their rod building selection.

#4 ·
Well, I tried Smitty and he didn't have anything in my price range.

I have looked scoured the Cabela's kits. That was the first place I looked since they have such a good selection of ready to go kits. Unfortunately, they don't have 2 wts that are 3 pieces or more. The few they have are two piece. They do have some kits I want to make for my wife and dad, though. I was planning on doing those after I do my two wt. Any other suggestions? Are there any other places that have a large selection of kits like Cabelas?

Thanks for the responses.

Matt

#6 ·
Thanks for the help. I finally got some sense and checked with the local shop I like to deal with. I found out that he can order Rainshadow blanks, which have a 4 pc 6'6" 2 wt moderate fast action blank. With St. Croix parts including a bird's-eye maple reel seat the whole thing will be ~95. It fits the budget and allows me to support and learn from my local shop.

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.