Fly Fishing Forum banner

Hair Wing Salmon/Steelhead Fly Swap

18K views 194 replies 12 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
Any one interested in a hair wing atlantic salmon/steelhead fly swap with a target date of January 31, 2003 for the flies ?

Tie any pattern you like classic or or your own, probably limit it to ten participants.

Respond if interested and I will post up the fly swap guidelines this weekend.

Hal

#2 ·
Smolt

I am interested in atlantic salmon flies. Even though I live in the Chicago area and have access to Great Lakes steelhead fishing, I have never done any and do not anticipate doing any, so steelhead flies are not part of my extensive repetoire. LOL

#4 ·
Smolt,

Essentially many of the same atlantic salmon hair wings can also be used for GL and PNW steelhead and vice sa versa. So I assume you are in the swap.

Also why don't you fly fish for GL steelhead if you live in Chicago area like I do ? Lots of good fishing opporunities within a 2-4 hour drive in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana.

PM

#12 ·
Malcom's "goodie" is in the belly of a large aircraft as we type.

Willie Gunn said:
Hal,
I'll tie a Garry Dog variation on my new Dyna King Barracuder just as soon as Fred gets it in the post. What a wonderful man he is, he understands drop addresses perfectly.

Malcolm
Now, no one is allowed to ask how "the greater we" are keeping this ... how shall we say? ... purchase from the eyes of a prying wife.

:rolleyes:

Seperate accounts are a good thing.
:devil:

#15 ·
PM,

Yes, I am in. I will tie a Black Bear Red Butt.

I don't fish GL steelhead because I don't know much about steelhead. [As far as I can tell, fishing for steelhead is sort of the opposite of fishing for atlantic salmon.] I have no friends here who fish, so I have limited my serious fishing to trips to Maine -- where I lived for about 13 years -- and the Canadian Martimes, where I fish with friends from Maine.

My only on river exposure to the GL tribs has been the Root River. That's just too crowded for my taste.

I remember fantasizing as a teenager about fishing the Pere Marquette, the Brule, and the Manistee, but I moved East as a young man before I got a chance to fish any of those rivers. I am sure there are great experiences on the GL Tribs to be had, but, though not an old codger, I am past the age of exploring on my own.

I recently bought a 13.5' 7-wt two-hander -- my first -- and plan to learn to cast a two-handed rod this Spring. Maybe that will cause me to get off the couch and search out some GL chromers.

#16 ·
I have it on VERY good authority that Malcom's dog ...

stares at him in fear every time he goes near his tieing bench. Poor dog has lost most of his tail hair over the years.

"Hal,
I'll tie a Garry Dog variation on my new Dyna King Barracuder just as soon as Fred gets it in the post. What a wonderful man he is, he understands drop addresses perfectly.

Malcolm"

Willie, is it also true, that your wife keeps her fur coat under lock and key?

:devil:

#18 ·
Smolt,

You will have to come out with me and I will show you some of the good steelhead fly fishing opportunities we have here. Forget the Root, that is chaos. I am always looking for serious steelhead fly fishing partners. Actually for the last few years I have been going solo. I will tell you though most of the good steelheading fishing is in cold conditions. BTW, love Maine been through there a number of times when lived back east but did not do much fishing there. Mostly NH, NYS, NJ, and PA when I lived back there 20 years ago.

So Smolt and N Brandon are now in. That makes 9 participants if I am counting correctly.

Need 1 more to close this swaps participants out.

#19 ·
Man, you get an Atty. involved and we're all

probably be "presented" with a 12 page written (very small print) performance contract. Why am 'I afraid, very afraid?' :D

This will be very cool ... other than all my pattern books are in storrage until the new house gets finished. As the 'topic at hand' is "hair wings" can anyone point me at a web site for some suggestions?

Years ago, an old friend told me that "rich or poor, everything you own can be put in the back of a big truck." Bob understated the truth. No matter what your wife says: never buy a home "under construction;" you have NO CLUE how long it will be before you get your "stuff" back. This is turning into a working definition of: " THE SH..'s." :eek:

#20 ·
Fred,

I could write very detailed complex requirements but I get enough of that in corporate land.

There fore the requirements will be simple as follows:

1) Fly must have a hair wing, thats why we call this a hair wing fly swap.

2) Can be any atlantic salmon or steelhead hair wing pattern of your choice, but lets ensure no two people are doing the same fly pattern.

3) Hook size, lets determine what hook size would work best for every one. I suppose either a size 4 or 6.

I have my K. Fulsher and C. Krom - book here - Hair Wing Atlantic Salmon Flies - 1981, which provides a history of hair wings, tying techniques, and many patterns.

I will tie one of these, probably one that is not a famous one.

I think some of the historical Rogue River Flies like the Red Ant, Golden Demon, Yellow Fever, Juicy Bug, Tiger Paw, Blue Boy, Rogue River Special, Old Mare, Black Ant, or Chevaney etc.. would be deeply appreciated by us knowing that it came from the Rogue Spey Master himself. :hehe:

Hal

#21 · (Edited)
Hal, mocho grassies for the info ... move, as in moving ..

is a "four letter word." NEVER, EVER, NEVER EVER buy a home "under construction!" Sweet Jesus, I'll be dead before this thing gets built. My life insurance will leave Joan with out a mortgage.

And to make 'matters' more interesting loaded McAffee's 2003 version of their anti-virus program last night and it "ate" AOL, or should that be "sol" ability to access the internet. Working off a neighbors old computer. Understanding neighbors (he's a fisherman) is God's Gift.

With everything I own, short of two suit cases of closes and a few boxes of "no way's!!!" in storrage life is getting more than interesting. Old COO's wonderful line was from the Chinese Curse "may you live in interesting times." Terry was a Sage; but who would know when you're snug as a bug in a rug?

Sheesh.

Tomorrow, off to the web sites on your PM to get re-educated.
:confused:

Sorry my spelling, etc., is well off the mark tonight (so what's different?) Every intention of getting totally "plotted" this evening. Had it up to here with BS this past couple of weeks. Anyone else been there/done that?

Don't answer that question.:eek:

#22 ·
PM,

I will take you up on your kind offer. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to contact you via this board's "private message" function. How do I get in touch with you? I am trying to figure out how to send you my email address without posting it for all to see. It is now past my bedtime. Hopefully, I can figure this out tomorrow morning.

Regards,

Smolt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.