Fly Fishing Forum banner

Henry's Fork OR Yellowstone

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JeffRome 
#1 ·
I have 2-3 days to fish the region late next July. Choice of lodging in Gardiner, MT or Last Chance, ID. I will be wading only, no floating. I've been to Gardiner before and fished the usual suspects (the Lamar R, Slough Creek)--really liked the Lamar. Never fished Henry's Fork. I've heard it can be really crowded and fishing has gone down hill some.
Any experience or advice to help me make up my mind? Thanks!

#4 ·
From what my friends who fish Last Chance the entire season before Steelhead season on the Snake starts they said last year could have been one of the best ever in the last 25 years. Lot's of big rainbows that are perfectly difficult to catch. With due respect for my friend Teflon advise, go fish the fork if you are good or think you are good and you are ready for the challenge or ready to learn. Having lived in the interior of Yellowstone for years as a park service employee I will say the park if interesting to fish but on the most part it offers little or no challenge compared to fishing Last Chance.
Have fun where ever you go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.