Fly Fishing Forum banner

Talk about a small world (attn Juro)

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  andre 
#1 · (Edited)
I was down in my garage today. I have a little collection of flies and such I find on fishing trips. Just out of the blue, I had an apiffany (sp?). I had a nice marabou type fly I had found on the Hoh a couple years back. I actually grabbed it and took a good look at it. It reminded me of something, and it hit me. Here's the picture of the fly I found.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, fly number 2

Well, I remembered that I had a fly that looked similar to the one above that came from Juro. Sure enough, I went back upstairs, purple fly in hand, and grabbed this pink one below. Guess what I found???? They're tied IDENTICLE, except the lead eyes. I mean, down to the underbody and everything. Talk about a coincidence. I find a fly a couple years before I find this BB, and then I end up having same fly tyer send me another fly similar to that one. What's the odds?

Attachments

#4 ·
Not a waddington

This is a standard fly hook. I myself have always tied my eyes on top. With the upturned eye, fly has always stayed upright like it should. Never had a problem with it. Never tried tying eyes down below. Hmmmmmm, may have to try it. But I rarely use lead eyes anyways.

#5 ·
Correction -

That's not my fly! I use no weighted flies for steelhead of any kind, never had a need to.

Sh69 - I was the swap meister, but not the tyer.

ALSO -

I received one of my own flies from you when you sent out the winter steelhead flies! Maybe you got a few labels crossed up? :devil:

And now the mystery... whodunit?

#6 · (Edited)
Hmmmmmmm

Actually Juro, I resent everyone one of their own flies, that way they had a complete lot. That way everyone received the same lot of flies, everyone's was the same. It seemed alot of people sent me some extra flies to try of different varieties. But I could've sworn that one came out of your batch. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well, who wants to fess up to tying it? It's someone who fished the Hoh. Hmmmmmmmmm, it may just stay a mystery.

#8 ·
Hey Andre

Did you tie that baby up for someone who was going to fish the Hoh? Both of these flies are tied identicle. You can usually tell a tyer's tying style. I found this one on the Hoh above Willoughy Creek a couple years back.

#9 ·
9er, you know I really can't say I've give lots of those away. I was tying the 3 to 4 years ago. I could even have sent you the original, pretty simple fly. I think they are dressed too heavily to truely be effective. After learning slowly (yes, I am a slow learner) I placed about half the materials on the hook and prefered the way it fished. Since that time I have changed patterns again.

I am definetly catching more fish so it must be a better fly. I seriously doubt I could have learned anything.

andre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.