Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puget Sound going under!

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
A study just released, done by University of Washington has reported that air temps are up on average by over two degrees and water temps thoughout the PNW are up on average by over 1 degree. This will cause serious problems for our wildlife and our people life in the sound area.

The article was in the Seattle PI this morning. www.seattlepi.com

If that does not get you to the article you can read the detailed report at

www.psat.wa.gov/climatechange

Kind of funny but we think we have done such a good job over the last 30 years cleaning up our sound with the stoping of PBC's and better wastewater systems and yet we humans find other ways of making things worse.

#2 ·
OC,

Don't worry. Once the big earthquake hits, as it has in the past about every 400-500 years and which I keep hearing geologist talking about being due at any time, some of Puget Sound may well get risen out of the water like happened in the last big earthquake when the Kitsap Peninsula added land to it and the Seattle to Edmonds side had land go under a few hundred feet of water.

#3 ·
Can you imagine the localized wave an earth quake like that would create in Puget Sound? The drop of land mass must have pushed a wall of water into Lake Washington and up the Renton Valley. We live in an amazing place for natural disasters just waiting to happen. I'm not sure I want to be around for the next big one but if I am it's going to be interesting for those who survive what ever may happen. Be it Mount Rainier having a 800 foot glaicier melt in a matter of hours, the fault line that runs down Puget Sound lets go or even the tsunami created just of the coast from a big earth quake and pushing up the strait and intensifing as the strait gets narrower. Yiks! Ya can run but you can't hide. In the mean time we will just destroy ourselves slowly by globle warming, over developement and all the other problems we create.

#4 ·
OC.

All of us in Washington State know that the Growth Management Act put an end to the problem of over-development since it concentrates growth in and around existing cities; thus allowing more land to remain as forest or agricultural lands. ;)

Yeah, the devestation of such events as the giant mudflow from Rainer erupting or the large earthquakes that have visited this area is nearly beyond comprehension. I agree, it will be very interesting for those who survive such a catastrophic geological event.

On a more positive note, I saw in yesterday's newspaper that a group of students at WWU were able to get the administration to switch to buying green power, which will cost each student an additional $10.50 per semester. Perhaps their is still hope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.