Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Fishing Shows East of the Mississippi

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone noticed the paucity of equipment (rods, reels, line, and clothing) manufacturers that will have booths at the fly fishing shows east of the Mississippi this season? As best I can tell, only the Marlboro, MA show (with about 26) and the Somerset, NJ show (with 17) will have more than a dozen equipment manufacturers represented.

If anything suggests that the industry is in decline, this is it.

I live outside Chicago and, as of December 16, 2005 (if my counting is accurate), the only equipment manufacturers listed as registered exhibitors for "The Fly Fishing Show" set for February 4 and 5, 2006, were: Abel Automatics, Inc., Albright Tackle LLC, Elkhorn Fly Rods, Jacobsson Rod Co, Patagonia, Rio Products, Scott Fly Rod Company, St Croix Rods, and Thomas & Thomas Rodmakers Inc. That's it.

Where is Rajeff Sports with the new Echo2 rods -- not to mention Sage, GLoomis, Winston, SA, Tibor, and the other heavy hitters? How can Powell and Danielsson sell direct to the consumer without getting their rods and reels out there for the consumer to at least see and touch? If Loop wants to make a comeback in the USA, other than on the Internet, where are their new products?

Well, that's my rant for the day. I must have too much time on my hands, but I am very disappointed that my trip to the show on Saturday (Sunday is the Super Bowl -- great planning duh!) will not be very illuminating. At least I will get to see the Scott LS2 series of two-handed rods, but will have to wait to see the new Winston BIIx double-handers, the Echo2 with its two tips with different actions, and the full range of GLoomis rods.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.