Fly Fishing Forum banner

sunglasses

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  andysweet 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm a sunglasses designer, and have been asked by a client to design some fishing glasses that incorporate features that aren't usually offered on fishing sunglasses.

I'm not a fisherman, so what I'd like to ask is what features are most important to you in a pair of sunglasses for fishing? This can be anything from simply shapes, styles and colours, things that make sunglasses more practical for fishing, and features that currently aren't available on fishing sunglasses but that you'd like to see.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

#2 ·
Andy -

You might want to do a little competitive research by clicking on the "Sponsors" button at the top of the page. Forum Sponsor Action Optics http://www.actionoptics.com/ has a primer on materials and styles. What's your price point? Who is your market? Fresh water guys need different features than salt fishermen.

That said, polarized lenses are critical. There is a safety factor to eye coverage when flies and lures with sharp hooks are flying, so more coverage, and wraparound coverage, is better than less. Form follows function. If you're going with light frames or polycarbonate lenses, consider the wind factor. No one likes losing glasses overboard. Make sure they'll stay on.

I'm not a potential customer; I have a pair of prescription glasses with progressive bifocal lenses so I can tie a knot close up and then look up and see at a distance. I like cable temples so I don't have to deal with Croakies or some gimp to tie the glasses around my neck. I like a sweat bar to keep perspiration and stinging sun block out of my eyes. My lenses are amber for salt water, but a trout fisherman might want gray.

I'd go to the websites for Cabelas, Orvis, LLBean, Offshore Angler, and some of the other outfitters to see what's already out there. Google is your friend. I'd use the search function on this board; your question has been asked and discussed before. For fishermen, good glasses are a tool, not a fashion statement.

#3 ·
Andy...I too already have a pair of prescription glasses....it took a long time to a pair that I liked....here are some features to keep in mind:
- frame design options with a more flattened front for those of us with heavy prescriptions....the wrap around styles cause vision distortion somewhere in the viewing area due to the significant bend;
- definitely side pieces for the "squared frame"..preferrably with a tinted plastic lenses on the sides for perriferal vision....side pieces block out both back glare and wind...I fish saltwater and the wind can really dry out the eyes;
- I like the sweat band topping previously mentioned, if it can be incorporated behind the frame.....we look enough like dorks in our waders, no need to have an obvious sweat band :)
- the option for interchangeable lenses (ie. for different colors);
- stainless steel frame screws, esp. for us saltwater guys;
- shatter proof lenses
- non reflective finishes on the frames....don't want to scare the fish;
- while I'm at it...an anti fog coating or compound/spray that really works.

Now.....you get all this, then I would be happy to field test a courtesy pair :)

Good luck Andy...I'm sure that others will chime in with their ideas.

Ron

PS: some of the above features would also be of interest to bikers/hikers

#4 ·
Well, I’d consider myself somewhat of a sunglass junkie. Oakley, Maui, Hobie, Costa, Native…I’ve tried most of the big names. For fishing, it’s all about relaxing your eyes, cutting the glare, and being easy to maintain for me. Cutting glare and increasing contrast and visibility, I’ve found none better than Costa. Relaxing the eyes, my Natives are light and nimble and have nice replaceable lenses. Easy to maintain, glass lenses. All the poly’s I’ve tried scratch way to easy for my lifestyle. I want lenses that clean up quick with a T shirt and some spit. I’d say my dream glasses are the following:

Lens-Thin, lightweight, scratchproof, replaceable (yellow, amber, gray), all polarized, mirrored
Frame- lightweight and somewhat moldable

Right now I’m loving my Costa Harpoon’s with Green Mirror. Good looking frame with full peripheral coverage. Lenses are crystal clear, comfortable tint, and great around the water. Glass lenses are easy to maintain and are almost impossible to scratch. Only downfall is they are slightly heavy and a clouser to the eye could cause some shattering…

$.02

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.