Fly Fishing Forum banner

Walden Pond

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
Yesterday afternoon I stopped on the way home from work and took a walk down to the water at Walden pond. The water was open to ~ 20 feet out in the corner by the trail from the parking lot, with the ice sheet starting to crack into large sheets.

Now the fun part. As I was looking at the small patch of open water I heard the slurp of a trout hit something just below the surface. Immediately running back to the car I grabbed the 4 weight, license & fanny pack of tackle, rigged up with trembling hands and spent the next half hour fishing that small patch of water. Results were the expected skunking to start the year out, but it felt good to be fishing again. If the rain holds off today I may give it another try.

#2 ·
John -

Great to read this on a day when there were two herons in almost every nest in the rte 2 rookery, several insects were seen, birds were singing away, and I even saw three boys riding their bikes. It's been such a long harsh winter that these things were all so foreign yet refreshing.

Even more refreshing to hear about slurping trout on a pond that is easily on my morning commute! Henry David Thoreau's other pond is a nice morning stop as well. GregO, Jared and I met there last fall, Jared landed a nice rainbow that morning as I recall.

Great news John

#4 ·
I checked the Stocking Page (thanks SSully) & found that Silver Lake in Wilmington (which is only 3 miles away) was stocked this week, so I hit it.

An Old-timer told me that 500 fish had been put in Friday. I saw 5 Rainbows on stringers, all caught on Power Bait by spin guys. I was fishing a streamer on a sinking line, but to no avail. there was another Fly fisherman, but I did not see him hook up. Also, there was one guy on a John-Boat & one guys in a Canoe trolling, but I did not see either of them catch. There was 10-12 spin guys (half were Kids) fishing the shore. The Bows looked pretty nice, but a little on the small side (9-12"). The water was Very Cold, still some ice on the down-wind side. After about an hour an a half my feet hurt from the Cold so I quit. But at least I got out there!

So, Tie up some Power Bait Patterns for those Stockers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.