Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line recommendation for Puerto Rico Tarpon Trip

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I have a tarpon trip setup in Puerto Rico next month and the guide recommended at least a sinking tip line. I am bringing a 10wt that has Rio Outbound Tropical on it but he recommended I bring a 8wt as well. I have SA Bonefish intermediate in 8wt, but it has terrible memory and casts poorly in my opinion. I like RIO lines better than SA lines in general because that seem to tangle less, but I would love to be able to use the line for other applications (maybe deeper water bonefish or something). Any ideas on an 8wt tropical line that casts well on a GLoomis GLX, but has at least a sink tip, and might be versatile enough to use on future trips? I am hopeful the technology has progressed in the past couple of years and a good solution is out there.

#2 ·
Other than the San Juan lagoons you only need a floater in my experience / opinion. There are thousands of tarpon in the lagoons but they are concentrated and pounded heavily day after day and wise to most offerings. As a change of tactic guides have been running flies deep in nearby channels and beating the odds. Personally I was much more fond of places off the beaten path where tarpon acted like it was the first fly they had ever seen. Certainly a lot more trouble to get to these places. I will probably go on a tarpon hunt in the fall there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.