Fly Fishing Forum banner

Should I buy 8 weight or 10 weight or should i buy another 9 weight?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Count 
#1 ·
I need another saltwater rod!

Suggestions?

I figured I should buy another weight rod as i already have a 9 weight. Should i go with the 10 or 8 weight?

#2 ·
Christopher

Tell us more . . . what's making you think you need another rod?

If you don't like your current 9 wt or just want to upgrade, it may make sense to stick with another 9 wt since that's such a versatile rod for most of the saltwater fishing we do in Mass.

However, if you're looking for something a bit lighter for schoolies (or maybe largemouths), then the 8 wt makes sense.

I've never used a 10 wt, but that's only because my saltwater fishing is limited . . . I have friends who do a lot more striper fishing who really like this weight. And you can use if if you go to Florida for Tarpon (but then you'll want the 8 wt for bonefish, too,)

Another rod to consider might be one of those two-handed Atlantis rods from CND. I'm thinking about buying one of those eventually for saltwater use. They look like great rods for surf fishing.

#3 ·
Well, I like my the 9 weight I have right now. I own a Orvis Trident TLS 9 foot 9 weight 4 piece Mid-Flex rod. I definitely need to aquire another rod because my g/f seems to be comming along quite a bit. I also take my father out fishing sometimes, and some friends I'm trying to convert to saltwater fisherman... Since I need another rod I was thinking that maybe it would be better to cover some more bases and get a 10 or 8 weight. Just to have more versitility. I was told by someone that a 10 weight would be a better rod as I would be able to throw grain lines and punch the win a lot easier. It would probably be easier for those who come along (who are new at casting in the saltwater) to fish as well. My g/f comes from Pampano, FL so I was thinking that it's not all that crazy of an idea to go tarpon fishing at least once in my life. At the same time, I might be moving to the Seattle area next year so I was thinking steelhead... But right now I'm living in MA and target stripers!

#4 ·
Christopher . . . I'll let someone with more saltwater experience respond on whether an 8 or 10 weight would be more useful for you. But it does sound like getting a different weight is probably better than getting another 9 wt.

One thing possibly to consider, since you plan to lend the other rod to beginners, is which size would be easier for someone to learn on? I'm guessing the 8 wt is easier than the 10 wt, but I'm not totally sure, having cast a 10 wt only once.

#5 ·
Christopher,

I went through this same thing a couple of years ago. I went with the 10 wt back then and regreted it , sold it, and purchased an 8. My personal opinion is that the 10 is overkill for most of the Striper fishing we do in the northeast. Having an 8 and 9 you can cover a very broad spectrum of species (Stripers, Blues, Bonito, Bonefish, Permit, Redfish, Steelhead, Largemouth, Salmon, etc). I fish a 9 wt with a 460 grain line when I really need to get down so don't worry about fishing that type of line on your Orvis, it will handle it.

Back to the 10, I kind of felt like it was a 'tweener rod, not really right for any species. To heavy for the species listed above and a little to light for larger species like Tarpon, Sailfish. etc.

My .02, hope that helps

#6 ·
You may want to consider a powerful 7-weight to go along with your 9. These two rods make a great combo, although I think most would go the 8 and 10 weight route, which is fine, too.

I love a 10 weight rod and find these perfect for tarpon in the 50-80 lb. range.

If you think you'd have use for a 10, the 8 and 10 may be a good bet. Otherwise, the 7 and 9 combo is really hard to beat. The 7 is so fun on calmer days and the 9, if it's a powerful 9, is a really capable and versatile rod.

Good Luck!

Count

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.