Fly Fishing Forum banner

Need Ascension Bay Advice

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  rooster 
#1 ·
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the Yucatan next month. I want to try fishing for a couple of days in the Punta Allen or Boca Paila area. I want to get a guided boat for one or two days and possibly go wading off by myself on another day. I've never been to this area before and would appreciate any help you could give on the following:

Do you know of anyone who will be in the Ascension Bay area around May 31-June 2, and would be interested in splitting a guided boat for a day or two?

Does anyone have any information on any spots on the Punta Allen road where I could park the jeep and wade the beach or lagoon?

If I can't find anyone to split the guided boat, I might try to find something cheaper than the $375-a-day standard fare. Does anyone have any advice on budget guides? Should I make reservations in advance, or just try poking around Punta Allen until I find someone?

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
I fished out of the Cuzan Guest Lodge a few years ago in Punta Allen.
We went in April. It was good and very reasonable $. It is not a 5 star resort, best described as "two steps above camping". I was please with the food, accomodations and guides. We landed bones, snappers, snook, baracudas and hooked tarpon and had shots at a few permit, but did not land either the tarpon or permit. It was a fun time. The lodge did not have AC, but had breezy cabanas with fans, so it was very comfortable. Solar showers were fine. They have a web site, if you want to check them out. Food was good, but it is "Mexican" style, so if you are looking for a steak, you better go elsewhere.
All in all...., I would go back.
Rooster

#4 ·
Not sure where you are in N. Cal. I went through the Flyfishing Specialties Shop in Citrus Hts. CA, they might be a source of info. It may be "warm" or muggy in June down there, I really don't know, as I wasn't there that time of year. Also, you might want to contact Hary Koons at the Nauset Angler, he takes group to another lodge which was south of Punta Allen. They fish in about the same water; basically boats head south from Punta Allen and head north from the lodge he uses (Casa Blanca?), there may be a link to a story on this site, but Harry is a sponsor, so his info is available, he is located in MA.. I am not sure of the prices, but do beleive that the lodge he uses has AC and a pool, if that is important.
I used a 7 wt and a 9wt with clear intermediate lines most of the time. Anything between 7 wt and 10 wts will work. We found that very sparce crazy charlie type flies with mono eyes worked real well on the bones. These were very simple ties, mostly olive. The bead or lead eyes tended to get hung up too easily, and many of the bones were hooked in less than 1 foot of water. The heavier flies would get hooked on the grass.
Good luck.
Rooster

#5 ·
Punta Allen

It has been 4 years since I was in Punta Allen, but here is what I know.

Cuzan Guest House and Ascencion Bay Bonefish Club are the most expensive places to stay there. If you go past Cuzan about 100yards you will find a small inn/hotel place on the beach that is a fraction of the cost (or used to be) There is also another american lady they call the Mermaid (can't think of the spanish word) who takes guests and can arrange fishing; she is about 50 yards past Cuzan on the right. I used her guides and boat last time for $180US a day. Her guides are not as good as Ascencion Bay Bonefish Club or Cuzan guest house, but they can find fish. Anyway, if you are going down make sure you look around and don't just settle on the expensive places.

A word of warning! Although the road to Punta Allen is short it will take hours to get there. Think of the nastiest logging road you have ever been on and prepare for something a lot worse, especially if it has rained recently. Renting a Jeep is highly recommended.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I might have to go for the cheaper guide in Punta Allen. I would like to get a top-notch guide for both days, but if I am the only one renting the boat it will break the bank. I guess I'll just ask around when I get down there.

I am planning on getting a jeep--I have heard a few horror stories about that road. Hopefully I will be able to stop somewhere on the way back and wade out to some unlucky bonefish and permit.

#7 ·
Howdy,
Good luck with your trip. We paid $1450 each for Cuzan. Double occupancy, meals, guides, etc for 6 nights and 5 days fishing. the guides spoke pretty decent english and were good. Boats were very stable and reliable. We did not rent a vehicle,but had the lodge arrange for 2 suburbans to bring the group down (I think there were 10 of us), they charged us $150 round trip (each) from Cancun airport.
Also, I agree that it is the roughest road that I have ever traveled.
Used fly tieing vises, salt water hooks, brown hackles, bobbins, scissors and assorted tying materials made for great tips.
Good luck.
DK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.