Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bruce Peters

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bruce 
#1 ·
Mom took me fishing very early, maybe 4, bobber and worm. By the time I was eight I had a notebook that I recorded my fishing exploits into. What cloud cover, what bait, what pond, dock, date etc. I still have the thing ! I grew up in a dysfunctional home and learned that if I left a note on the table "gone fishing" I could escape for the day. The therapy of fishing has stayed with me and I have always been uneasy in every other thing I have ever done. My fishing enthusiasm followed me to the west coast where I learned about steelhead. It took me over 100 hours to catch my first, a hen of about 5 pounds. She is immortalized upon my den wall.
In California, I became a commercial fisherman in 1974 to enable myself to continue to fish yet sustain myself financially. I still have state and federal commercial licenses. I feel that a commercial fisherman provides the non-fishing public access to a resource. In 1998 I completed my testing with a 98 and obtained a US Coast Guard master's license enabling me to take passengers for hire. I advertise with a website at <A HREF="http://www.sportfishingcapecod.com">www.sportfishingcapecod.com</A>
In chartering, I find that my joy of fishing is enhanced by sharing the experience with a newcomer or friend. The best trips I've had are the families and children and beginners. I get to relive the excitement, thrills and general awe that we all have felt at one time or another when the drag is peeling out and all you can do is hold on.
I have always used light spinning and casting gear. I have not done a lot of flyfishing. I know I will be doing more and more. My life has been about reading the water, finding out where the fish lie, and the challenge of getting them to bite. I know where to go and how to set the boat up. I am interested in learning new methods (fly) to do this while continuing to support myself and my family.
Bruce Peters

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.