Fly Fishing Forum banner

Saltwater Rods - mid range $

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Spock 
#1 ·
Hi all, I've finally decided to take the plunge and get into fishing the salt - there are alot more places to fish for stripers and blues nearby than there are for trout. Also I have WAY too many trout flies, and would like to begin tying some big saltwater stuff instead!

SOooo. I'm on a budget and have been researching a couple rods.
I've decided to go for a 9' - 9 wt- has to be 4 pcs:
Sage Launch 990-4
TFO Jim Teeny 9' 9wt 4 pc
St Croix Avid 9' 9 wt 4 pc

Any others I should look at in the $200-$300 range?. I've found some great deals on reels through eBay, so I can save alot of money there and get a solid reel, and have some coin left over for Lines, etc.

Problem is I can't decide on action; I have a Sage DS 9-5wt 4pc that I love; it's seems to have a med-fast action, but it's a light trout rod. Anyone used a Sage Launch? Most likely I won't be able to try a variety of rods, esp for the lower price points. So I was looking for some advice. Do I want a faster rod for all around surf, inshore fishing, or should I stick with the mod-fast action that I'm used to with my trout rods?

Thanks mucho.

See less See more
#2 ·
You should include the ECHO rods - among the very best for the money in the business, Tim Rajeff would have it no other way. I hear the two-hander (with exchangeable tips) is an awesome stick as well; I have been trying hard to get my hands on it.

I also really like the Lefty Signature series TFO rods - super.

#6 ·
You might also consider buying an 8 wt vs 9. It's a common issue for a beginning SW flyrodder to buy a 9 or 10 wt rod and get disheartened when there dreams of constant 30" fish turn into the reality of 12-20" fish (on average. ) An 8 wt is easier on the arm to cast ( even a pair of 1/0 streamers) , and make MUCH better sport out of those schoolies. It will also handle those 30-36" bass no problem when they show up.
FWIW, I do the 70-80% of my SW FF with 7 and 8 wts (sometimes overlined). I only go to a 9 or 10 when deep water fishing from a boat and /or heavy currents/surf conditions demand.
In addition, a 8 wt makes a NICE bass bugging rod should you decide to venture in that direction.
FWIW, TFO gets my vote of those mentioned but I admittedly don't chase "the perfect rod" any more so am not up to everything offered in today market. I've got a dozen and half SW rods from all kinds of makers left over from my quest. I've pretty much settled on a few (inexpensive) favorites. I've learned it's best to try before you buy. It's also best to shop without reguard to brand name and /or cost bracket. You'll be surprised on how little difference you my find between some $150 'beginner rods" and the mid/high priced name brands. Buy and fish what feels good to you ,vs depending on advice (including mine!;) )
hth

#7 ·
I have no doubts I'll catch some small fish- at least at first!!! I thought about 8 wt; I'm concerned that I'll be a little undergunned when surf fishing with the wind- which is probably how I'll be fishing most of the time. I want the rod to have some punch for beach and jetty fishing. I'll ask around I'll see if I can get some local advice and see what most guys are using. For trout fishing I use both an 8.6' 4 wt and a 9' 5 wt, depending on the size of stream I'm on. Maybe I'll do the same for the saltwater if I get real into it; an 8 wt for flats and quieter backwaters.

#9 ·
If you are fishing for stripers, blues and inshore tuna then most would agree the first rod to own is a 9ft 9wt. At least that's what 99.9% of the practitioners today agree on, myself included. I tried 8wt, 10wt, 7wt; 8.5ft, 9.5ft, 10ft - but the right sized single hand rod for the region's coastal fishery is 9x9.

If you go to a double-hander, then a 12wt is a piece of cake. Frankly, I find many of the fish I hook to be a challenge even on the 12wt. I wouldn't want to try to land them on anything lighter than a 9wt personally, in fact even my 9ft 9wts are just barely in the game for big ocean species. Perhaps if the fish aren't challenging on a 9x9 then the answer is to find bigger fish ;)

#10 ·
I agree with Juro on the choice of a 9wt rod. Its important to remember that the selection of rod weight has more to do with the size and weight of the fly or if you're using a shooting head, then it does with the size of the fish that you're hoping to catch.

Fishing for stripers and bluefish sometimes involves throwing some pretty bulky flies and quite often a sinking line. You'll appreciate having the 9wt a lot more. If it was a question of fish size, you would never need to use a 10wt rod on stripers or bluefish, but sometimes you need to use a rod of that size just to throw a sinking line and a 8-10" long slab fly.

The best thing to do is to try a few rods at a shop before you make your decision to buy. All shops should let you cast a rod a few times before you make a decision, if not, try another shop.

Good luck,
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.