Fly Fishing Forum banner

"Expensive" fishing licenses

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  SDHflyfisher 
#1 ·
For perspective if your annual fishing license seems costly: check the cost of one day's skiing at the resort nearest to your home.
Field & Stream has just run a two-part series of how many state f&g departments are starving for revenue. Either fishing licenses must go to many times their present bargain prices, or state govts. must find ways to get non-consumptive users of wildlife (birdwatchers, day-hikers, leaf-peepers, etc.) to share the costs.

#2 ·
I know I used to be a big skier when the $ 25 a day was high. Now it is out of my league, thank god I live in the mid west and don't have mountains close other wise I would be in pain, because I really loved skiing.

Now it is probably $ 50 a day minimum at most ski resorts.

Fishing licenses are a real bargain from this perspective

#3 ·
I do not agree that lift tickets are much more expensive than fishing licenses. CO cost me $20 for instate. WY was $70 for out of state. Three days on the green is $22 and five on Henry's fork will be $26. The total that I will spend this year is going to be at least $138. My season pass at Copper was $209. I will fish about as many days as I skiied so that the cost/day is about the same. I like the idea that we charge leaf peepers. How about a toll booth on the Kancamangas. You must pay if you do not have a fishing rod in the car.

#4 ·
I happen to know what the Kancamangus trail is, doubt if many other non easterners do. WY = $ 70 for out of state must be one of the highest in U.S. What is instate $ 5-10 ?

I was referring to daily skiing rates, season pass $ 209 sounds like a great deal to me. Unlimited season pass just to hit golf balls at my local park district range is $ 300.

Yes fishing license fees could be increased national, I will gladly pay more. I will even pay for a private beat like Europe has so I can have my own section of the river in solitude with nature, etc...

#6 ·
FYI
Spent about 5 boy hood summers on the Big Winnie in the Meredith area, White Mountains, etc...

Is Harts Turkey Farm still there ? My parents used to know the owner and we would get preferred treatment when there. Great memories of that area and my biggest smallmouth still comes from the Winnie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.