Fly Fishing Forum banner

Circle hooks

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  neil1314 
#1 ·
I have been trying to buy circle hooks in sizes 12,14 & 16 here in the UK. I think Eagle Claw are the only people who make them in that size but I can't find anyone who stocks them.
Does anyone know a store anywhere who has them in stock & would be willing to send them to Scotland. I have heard really good things about them and am desperate to try them out as tied as buzzers as they sound ideal for that type of fishing.
Any help gratefully appreciated

Neil

#2 ·
There have been rumors....

I have heard that Mustad is making (or will soon make) circle hooks for fly tiers. I have some of their streamer hooks (size 8, if I remember correctly). If you have access to a Mustad dealer, he can check out their current offerings - or you might try a websearch.

BobK

#3 ·
Neil,
Try Cabela's; they are a mail-order-based chain over here, stock a very wide selection of hooks, and they do indeed carry the Eagle Claw L702 Circle Hook in sizes down to 14. I'm pretty sure they will ship over seas. You can find Cabela's online quite easily.

#4 ·
If you can't find the hook Wright & McGill will sell Eagle Claw hooks direct to you if you contact them. The price is the same as retail so I like to give the sales to my local shop, but its a way to get the hook you want. One comment on the circle hooks I've used (bait fishing with kids) is that the hooks are small for the size that the manufacturer labels them. For fishing with the kids I go up 2 sizes from what I would use with a J hook.

#7 ·
Will do
I have heard good things about them but apperently the big thing is that you mustn't strike as that just pulls the hook out of the fishes mouth. So I thought that they would be really good used as Buzzers because I always have a major problem detecting takes when fishing static. However probably like most things they won't be half as good as they are cracked up to be. We shall see!!!

Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.