Fly Fishing Forum banner

Choosing a fly line

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dana 
#1 ·
Im purchasing a Temple Fork 9'6" 8wt. and will be fishing for steelhead, bows and browns. This will probably get more use toss'n streamers for bows and browns. I've been looking at Rio's Versi Tip, SA XXD and SA Steelhead. I still consider myself new to casting. I've been learn single handed spey casts also. I basically lean towards the Versi Tip line because it allows me to fish the different depths.

Thanks in advance
Jon

#4 ·
which model

If it's the TiCr you'll definitely want to go at least a line weight up for dry lines.

If it's the Pro you still might want to go a line wt up.

Both are quite fast. Maybe take the rod to your local flyshop and see if you can cast it with a couple different lines?

#5 ·
Dave gives good advice. I have not cast the Temple Fork single handers so if you can try the lines out before you buy that is best. Overlining (by one line weight) a fast action rod is sometimes a good idea for a newer caster as it slows the rod down a little and gives a greater sensation of it loading during the casting cycle, which can help a new caster develop good timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.