Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ireland in November

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mylo 
#1 ·
Going over for Nov. 17th - 21st, visiting Galway & Limerick

Anybody know if there's any fishing going on then or should I leave my rods at home? Trying to pack as light as possible.

Thanks,
TMS

#2 ·
Sprocket,
Lived in Eire from 96-98 and if memory serves, salmon & trout season is closed (I think countrywide) from Oct 1 - Jan 1 Jan 1.

Check out this link for more definitive info:
http://www.cfb.ie/

FWIW, if you can get there in the spring/early summer there is some absolutely tremendous fishing in the Galway area. Doesn't much help this trip though.

Best of luck.
Tod

#7 ·
You must get the book: "Rivers of Ireland" by Peter O'Reilly.
IT has detailed info on just about every fishable body of water in the country.
I had a trip planned for Sep 20, but a certain Terrorist butthead changed our plans.
I'll probably try to go next year. Good luck.

Lefty

#8 ·
2nd Terry's comment re Reilly's book. Terrific book w/ loads of information. He also has a companion book on salmon & trout flies. Beautiful pictures & descriptions.

If you're ever in Dublin there is a terrific shop - Rory's in Temple Bar - that has loads of information, advice. Also, drop me a line next time you're planning on going and I'll give you the names of some places we stayed and fished in the galway area for browns and atlantics.

#11 ·
Sprocket,
have sent you an email, and you will get more info in the post soon.

And as regard Limerick and hooks - being a Limerick man I can tell you there is a definite connection between the Place and the hook and the hook pattern. And if you feel you can't trust a limerick man (many people feel they can't trust Limerick men, women or children) here is some unbiased information...

Irish hooks
(btw in Limerick O'Shaughnessy is pronounced O'Shocknassy - and the are all called Chocko, Choka, Chokkers or Choc-Ice after the ChocIce icecream lolly or icecream bar or pop or whatever you call em in the States... Brits and ex Irish will know what i am talking about... !)

...The O’Shaughnessy family were the foremost firm of Limerick hook makers, establishing their business in 1795. They soon developed a formidable reputation for quality, their products costing sixpence a dozen and being recommended as a matter of course by eighteenth nineteenth century authors. The original O’Shaughnessy hooks were hammered out and forged, with the barbs filed out from the metal rather than being cut out and bent up as was the case with wire hooks. The founder died in about 1820 and by 1834 the business had been taken over by a watchmaker, who had carried on the tackle making business, turning out Limerick hooks after the original O’Shaughnessy pattern. By 1845 a dozen cost between four shillings and one shilling. But the angler got a hook filed from best German steel, rather than the wire hooks which were the rule from Dublin and London firms. By comparison, Sell’s hooks cost between three shillings and nine pence a dozen. O’Shaughnessy hooks were so prized that it was common practice to strip the fly from the hook after it had been mauled by fish: not only did the hooks last for ever, they were simply too valuable to throw away! The quality of the Limerick products stood head and shoulders above those of their competitors.

for more http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/hooks.htm

mylo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.