Fly Fishing Forum banner

Drying motors

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  kush 
#1 ·
Yeah-I know it's way too early to be thinking about building rods and tying flies, but..........

I just saw a whole bunch of little 4.5 rpm AC motors at You-Do-It Electronics in Newton- and for $4.90!!!

#5 ·
Jeff,

Those exact motors are no longer for sale. Although, when I get by rump in gear I am still planning on mounting up one of the motors and giving one to you. Maybe we can get together and tie in late November and I can give it to you then.

For anyone else interested in the site where I bought these motors go to:

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=18

They do have a few appropriate motors for $2.00 or so.

Tie away...

Mike

#6 ·
Just spoke w/ CJ at American Science & Surplus (web link on Mike Doogue's post above). Tremendously helpful!

Ordered a couple of clock motors - will use one for a fly drying wheel, another for rod wheel. Will report back on how they peform. At $2.25 per they could be just the ticket...

#8 ·
BBQ rotisserie(sp) motors

Guys,

I have been all over this site in my prep for the trip out there and I stumbled across this old thread. Having just tied up a few of my first epoxy head flies (we don't use them too much for steelhead) I was puzzling over turning them to dry. It didn't take long for me to go to my rod curing motor.

My motor is a BBQ rotisserie motor, I mounted it on a block of wood, shaped a square dowl to fit into the motor and inside the rod blank - voila a free drying motor! I have used the same motor for rod building for 20 years. To convert it into an epoxy head dryer all I did was take a short piece of old rod blank and jam a cork ring on it to impale with the hook. It works great and the price is definitely right as you can find them everywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.