Fly Fishing Forum banner

Housy White Fly

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
The white fly hatch has been going gangbusters the entire length of the river this past couple of nights. Its currently starting just before dark (last night it was nearly 8:00 pm before it got going).

Trout are still stacked up in the refuges like cordwood but recent cool nights and lower water temps have tempted a few out.

Some of the biggest smallmouths of the season are putting in an appearance during the hatch.

I managed about half a dozen smallies plus a gorgeous brown of about 12 inches last night.

Nice to fish dry fly again after so many years! :smokin:

The flies were coming off so thick as I waded back across the river I could hardly breath - everything they say about "blizzards" is true!. Oddly the fish activity had died down - maybe they were just stuffed full!

#3 ·
"white fly"

Ever read "The Snowfly" by Joe Heywood? This is a fiction novel about a secret society of fanatical fly fishers on a quest for the mythical "snowfly" hatch, a huge mayfly that only hatches every 7 to 10 years, never on the same river twice. Giant trout, lost manuscripts, secret maps, violence, romance, intrigue... this one has it all! and, it turns out, Hemingway isn't really dead, he's just chasing this hatch...

Decent escapism if you like that sort of thing.

Poul

#4 ·
I think there may actually be a "snow fly". From what I understand I am pretty sure it exists in the Snake River area. Now I'll have to look it up to find out....... A friend of mine was giving Jack Dennis a hard time on his radio show when he said that they hatch out of the snow in lieu of hatching out of the river. I'd hate to be under that kind of scrutiny. I'd be the next fly fishing Yogi Berra. (sp?)

"I don't quit fishing until they quit biting. Some days they just quit early".

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with.............
asking my wife if I can go."

John

#5 ·
This one only lasts for a couple of weeks so get tying up those Usuals, white wulffs and spent gnats - a few trout are being caught but the smallies are a blast.

I checked out one of the lower stretches in the "stanley tract" area yesterday and the back eddies were covered in a thick carpet of empty shucks so the hatch is very wide spread throughout the river.

I also discovered a long glide holding some enormous tight lipped carp but thats a future installment.

#6 ·
adrian,

incredible isn't it. first time i experienced it, i couldn't believe what i was seeing. not to mention all those mongo trout. fishing to the sound of rises is an experience in and of itself. its like fishing with The Force.

i think i may just have to head down this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.