Fly Fishing Forum banner

Quick, Easy Must Have Saltwater Coho Patterns

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
For all you saltwater flyrod maniacs what do you believe are some must have but quick and easy patterns to tie to fish for migrating adult coho in the salt???

I wanted to get some tied up for my trip to Sitka in a couple weeks.

A major thanks to everyone in advance!!

#2 ·
First that comes to mind is Clousers! <G> Lots of sizes, tie in Chartruese and White, Pink & White, and Pink & Black. I'd also bring some kind of surface/floating flies and some candlefish patterns. Check the "Pacific Salmon on a Fly" book by Les Johnson et al for other good ideas.

Doublespey

#3 ·
Ryan -

Take a look at the patterns in the SWFF fly archive

The only consideration for using any of these is to put the hook on the back half of the fly for cohos to get better hook up rates.

- Sand Lances (sand eels, candlefish)
a) epoxy sand eels, 'surf candy'
b) clouser-like sand eel patterns tied on longer hooks
c) slim jims, etc

- herring
a) deceivers
b) bigeye baitfish (Page Rogers)

- squid

- surface flies, poppers and sliders: slim jims, pencil poppers
- deerhair bunny divers

If I have time I will send a few of my favorites for you to test.

GOOD LUCK!!!

#4 ·
A baitfish pattern that you have confidence in, such as the Clouser mentioned by DoubleSpey, is killer on Coho; white/peacock angel hair in about #4 works for me.

A Flash Fly in about a size #2 is a popular choice for Alaskan Silvers as is a purple Egg Sucking Leech.

You may also want to include a few Sparkle Shrimp (pink or chartreuse in about a #4.)

Several folks have been experimenting fishing surface poppers for Silvers with great success. Including a couple in your box might provide some added excitement.

#6 ·
I will put most of my money on the clouser style in colours as mentioned in previous posts and an assortment of squid style patterns such as Juros. I assume that most of your fishing will be done from the boat where the presentationof either a rising or falling bait is most effective. If you have the opportunity to drag a bucktail fly in the wake of the boat this can also be very effective.
Good Luck
saltRon

PS Check Your Mail

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.