Fly Fishing Forum banner

A little waxing...

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Smcdermott 
#1 ·
I spent the day waxing the boat. I went with the Collinite system and used their 920 cleaner followed by the 925 Insulator wax. I had planned to use the 885 paste but chickened out after reading how tuff the buffing process can be with that stuff. I was very impressed with the 920 cleaner. Removed every stain and a few leftover adhesive residues from the shrink wrap without a hitch. It also left a remarkably clean surface to apply the wax to. The 925 wax looks great but but only time will tell how well it holds up. For the deck I went with Woody Wax. This stuff is great and is one of the must haves for me. Not only does it provide a nice tacky finish for the deck but it is also removes any oxidation from the bright work and polishes it. Not to mention it prevents corosion on all your electrical connections. It took me from about 9-4 today and I am just hoping I can move my arms tomorrow. Definitely nice to have a shiny ride to start the season though.

Sean

#2 ·
Sean, thanks for the breakdown. I'm thinking about going the same route with their system. Looks like I need to book a solid day for it!

#3 ·
Nick,

One thing that would have saved me some time is that you can do the 920 cleaner almost all at once and then buff off after it has dried. It comes off as a white flakey powder so you may want to consider a mask. I would probably go one full side at a time next outing. I did it in small sections at first as I did with the wax and that did create some excess down time. The good part about this was it gave your arms a rest. I may consider getting a low speed buffer next time as well. I was concerned with swirl marks but I have since talked with a few people who have had good success with them. Maybe start with the keel and work your way up to get used to it.

Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.