Fly Fishing Forum banner

How to get the conehead aroudn the bend

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Poogs 
#1 ·
Ik now this question is pretty begeinners, but i just got a conehead for heads, and they dont fit on 4 of my streamer hooks, ne tips on how to get on?

#4 ·
My best guess without seeing the actual hooks and cones is that they aren't matched perfectly for their respective sizes. If it's close you can "convince" them around the bend with some pliers or other such tool, but this tends to weaken the hook at the bend.

#6 ·
It's not really clear to me how the cones aren't fitting. Are they actually making it past the barb (and the curvature of the hook it too great for the cone to continue...), or does it just not fit over the barb. If it doesn't fit over the barb, simply sqeeze it down a bit; it's better for the fish and you anyways, if you know what I mean.

#7 ·
bd12345678 said:
It's not really clear to me how the cones aren't fitting. Are they actually making it past the barb (and the curvature of the hook it too great for the cone to continue...), or does it just not fit over the barb. If it doesn't fit over the barb, simply sqeeze it down a bit; it's better for the fish and you anyways, if you know what I mean.
I hear ya man, it w asnt making it around the curve, I figured it out tho, with a minor bend with the hook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.