Fly Fishing Forum banner

Angler's Journal

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
If you could design the ultimate angler's journal, what would it remember for you? Certainly the date, weather, time of day, etc. A record of the catch statistics perhaps. What about hatches? Moon phases? Temperatures?

I invite you to explore the possibilities with us...

#2 ·
Juro, I made up a "fishing Log" a couple of years ago, I think I used Microsoft's Works. It had the time, date, location, weather, wind, speed, surf, tide, moon, bait seen, bird activity, fish caught, flies used, and what flies caught fish. This program was the second I made. The first was when I was doing some serious trout fishing which I kept faithfully for 3 years. Looking back at it I found that I caught more trout on a Blue dun fly either wet or dry. The data I found was very interesting. Something like 2700 trout in 3 years. It reminded me of a fly I developed which I called "Trouteater" One day using it, I took 12 trout on 12 cast, with rainbows to 5 lbs. I don't know why but I discontinued keeping a record. I should again start the practice. It does help. The only thing that I find is bad is that you get locked in on certain flypatterns, and don't get to try new ones.

#3 ·
Art -

I knew you would have a lot of input into this. Thanks for the email w/ phone #, I will give you a call to discuss things like Rhody, material you sent me, and how we should publish it. Most importantly, I want to pick your brain about what we should put into our Angler's Journal.

I really look forward to meeting you and please save some tunoids for me!

Juro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.