Fly Fishing Forum banner

It's about that time...

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  jfbasser 
#1 ·
for New Englanders to reminisce about the season that just passed, or at least is about to pass...

So what were the most important lessons you learned this year?

#3 ·
After a lifetime of fishing the beaches fishing from a boat is a whole new game. Getting down to the fish is my biggest problem. I don`t have the patience to wait for a line to sink to 25 or 30 ft. Also learned FA`s go farther north than I thought! Also Ct. has some very nice spots that I`d never seen before.
Slinger

#4 ·
Used a upsized floating line for the first time this past year boat fishing for Bonita and small bluefin tuna. Found out that the ability to lift and recast a long line back into the fast movers provided for extra hookups. Also discovered that Slinger will travel a bit further North to the Middleside for FAs :chuckle:

#5 ·
Love of my life: she likes the Cape

This is my fifth year on the cape. Two years ago, my wife, decided to see first-hand what prompted me to return. She now sees what the lure is for me.

As a result, she will be with me from Memorial Day thru the end of June. I'll be a bit longer, September thru early October. She is a teacher and will retire next year.

In a conversation a couple of nights ago over a bottle of cab, she said," how about spending May, June, Sept & Oct on the Cape?: Duh, what do you say?

That was the highlight of my season. The other notables of the season include getting my sons into keeper bass, my first albie, and helping other forum members to have a memorable experience on the Cape.

The forum is a real slice of life. I have met some great people on the Cape, thanks to the forum, e.g. Striblue, Double Haul, Fishhawk, CSJ60, Juro, Rooster, Paxton, Rip Ryder, Striper, Penguin, etc.

The Pommies, or the Brits, have found the Cape. I have enjoyed their compassion for the resource, and their sense of humor this season. I suspect we will see more of them next year.

Thank you Cape for a memorable year.

Simms

#8 ·
Two lessons, actually...

#1) You do NOT have to necessarily cast very far to hook Albies in Rhode Island and it pays to keep your fly in the water. :D

#2)I would move the South County RI if:
(A) I could find decent work there
(B) I could find affordable housing
Then again, maybe one of you would say the same thing about MI after a week of steelhead fishing here? :)

#9 ·
What I learned from this year;
1) Two handed rods rock into head winds.
2) If you want a unbelievable salad at an improptu bbq, invite Jim Simms!
3) John Morin will MAKE you wear the fez, if you show up at CAC.
4) Springclave is the perfect event to start the season.
5) If Keith asks you is you "want a late pickup from SB?", no one will catch fish between the time he showed up the first time and when he finally returns.
6) When all else fails, revert to the chartruse and white clouser.
7) Avoid the neighbor that offered to sell you his beach house in 1996 for 1/3 the cost of today's value!
8) Slinger is a fly tying dude.
9) Pete G. can jog further down a beach :) with a fly rod than anyone else in New England.
10) Freinds, memories, and the smell of salt water last forever. Everything else is temporary.
Have an awesome winter, see you next Spring.
Rooster

#11 ·
John -

Is there a shot with the segment a little to the right? The movement of the mecca shoal is astounding even since October!

I learned a lot about fish highways in 2004. I always knew about them, and benefited from studying them, but put much more time into documenting them in my journals this year and the dividends were high.

In fact, I believe the notion of "hot spots" is founded on fish highways in striper country.

#12 ·
1. Every year I find I know less than I thought I knew the year before.
2. It's nice to fool around with different flies but if I need a tug nothin beats jig fly in olive, chartruse over white.

I was at the spot in striblues pic yesterday. Like an early September morning. I walked down South beach a mile or two. No fish though the word was a lot of small fish are around. Had birds in a tizzy about a third of a mile from where I was about to turn around, but by the time I got there they were gone. Nice piece of structure though, in front of the lobster bouy memorial (know the spot John?).

#13 ·
Three things:

1. Fish don't care what brand of gear you're using.

2. Fishing with the people from this site guarantees a good time.

3. When fishing a beach and someone who really knows saltwater FF is up for a chat or lending a bit of advice, LISTEN. :wink:

#14 ·
Juro... I will post that picture this evening... a bit more to the right, into the crimp of the beach. Fred, I know exactly what you mean. So , it is still there I see..... and Mark... Fish DO care about the type of gear you have. :lildevl: :wink:

#17 ·
1. "It 'aint over 'till it's over!" Heading to Sandy Hook Joizey this Saturday. (Hard men are planning winter excursions as we speak - will be fitting icebreaking kit to front of yak :lildevl: )

2. Above all else, trust your instincts. If if feels like the right thing to do, it probably is. If you don't do it, you almost always end up regretting it.

3. Fish at night. This season was a first serious after-dark experience for me and I am totally addicted. Local areas heavilly fished and/or devoid of fish during the daylight hours really come alive after dark. Plus I'm usually the only one on the water :smokin:

4. Is it my immagination or did we see yet another increase in the average size of fish this season? There was no shoratge of schoolies but I had more 30"+ fish this year.

5. Always great to have the company of forum friends on the water. From early season Pike expeditions with Mark (DbleHaul) to the annual gatherings on the Cape with Striblue, Juro, FredA and the gang!

6. Nice to see an increasing number of fellow Brits making the crossing too. Expect to see a lot more of them next season - I see a lot of trips to the Cape in the planning stages on other sites :D

#18 ·
.....That early season and a Stone Horse full of 'Clavers is a recipe for a fantastic weekend.

.....No matter who you meet in the parking lot or on the causeway an excellent day follows.

.....Regardless of when your last post was a smlie and a nod always seems to follow.

Regards for the seasons past and ahead. Can't wait to see you all at the shows and back on the beach.

#23 ·
If that's what it takes...

...to get a certified Left Coast Speyite to go slummin' in Striper Country...
then standin' on my head is a small price to pay for the good company...

I was playing around with composition, colour, and texture...
Trying to keep my phace and phingers phrom phreezing and Lucy Lu out of the water...
'Looked a bit like flying inverted over the west Texas hill country but without the ejection seat, negative G's, and smell of hydraulic fluid...
So much for artsy fartsy... :razz:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.