Fly Fishing Forum banner

jet sled

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  boogie 
#1 ·
ok, i gotz a 14 foot almar sled with a 50 hp evenrude pump on it. is there any reason is should not plane with 2 people in it? im losing sleep over it and thought about burning the river down.

#4 ·
yeah, i tried it a few times and never got it to plane. i tried it again today with just me and it did pretty good.

its console controled

me and my homies are around 200lbs each.

compression is all good and the motor runs great. the gauge of aluminium is pretty think. the boat is heavier than most sleds at 14 feet i think but it seems 50 hp should get us up fine.

is there a way to blow the whole boat up? air strike or something?

#5 ·
Put the biggest buddy on the bow ;) ;)

How about trim? How's are things matched up impeller to transom? Cavitation occurring?

Might ask around, there are some great boatshops in your neck of the woods and most well versed on pumps.

Airstrike? McChord is nearby ;) or Ft. Lewis but you might find a buyer easier than dragging it to the tank target practice area on the Squally though.

#6 ·
hahahahah! i need more info in the sqaully area. maybe dress one of my less favored "friends" up as bin laden and have him test the planing capibilies.

i tried us both sitting up as far as possible on the bow with no luck.

im interested in this cavitation thingy.

should this boat plane with 2 no problem?

it hurts my fists pretty bad when i punch the boat. is there a way to make it more beatable? maybe ill just kick it for a while.

my status as river pirate is slippin. (see sig) AAAAARRRRRRRH!

#7 ·
Do you know how heavy your hull weight is? And is your 50hp at the motor head or the pump. My 60hp Yamaha makes only 40hp at the pump and it moves my 16' Northriver just fine. Also a center console. Maybe your intake isn't set up correct? Have you checked to see where the front of your intake grate sits in correlation to the bottom of the hull?

AD

#8 ·
im not sure how heavy the hull is. ill try to find that out. its 50hp at the head. i think ima have to take it to the pros. thanks for the help fellas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.