Fly Fishing Forum banner

woven flies

8K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  FlyFishAR 
#1 ·
Attended the fly tying show this past weekend in Somerset, NJ, and got to meet and watch many great tyers. One guy (forget his name) from Larva Lace was showing me how to weave the body on their trademark pattern, the river witch. Of course, I was immediately addicted to tying in this fashion, and was able to sit down for an hour this evening and tie a pair of nymphs using Larva Lace for the rib (olive and chartruese, not so much an actual pattern as simple practice with some stuff I picked up at the show). The first fly had some "issues", however the second came out quite well. I'll post a pic of it when I get the time to break the camera out.

Any of those on the forum that tie with this technique, please post your tying tips and favorite patterns. I'm very interested to hear about the various materials that have been used in the weaving process. BTW, I've done a search on this subject and came up with less than I thought was likely out there. So if you've posted on this topic before, please re-post for the benefit of those (besides myself) interested.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Chris, Aaron (speybum) Reimer is the MASTER of the woven fly.

He put on a demo for the folks on Friday evening before the Sandy River Spey 'Clave. Glad I video'd the whole thing. Simple, simple, simple ... but he has the hands of a JediMaster.

Aaron also gave lots of advice on materials to use, etc. Drop him a PM, he's a stand-up guy about sharing.

fae

#3 ·
Try a search for "woven" on this site. There are a couple patterns with photos. One of them looks like an AWESOME hellgramite fly. I spent a little time trying to figure out how the woven part was done but never could get it quite right.

Q

#5 ·
Chris, if you want a copy of my Sandy 'Clave vid.

tape with a long run of Aaron 'doing his thing,' drop me a PM. Excuse the expression, 'the charge,' is a fiver to buy/copy/mail the tape.

Sitting across from Aaron I vid. the whole thing, including lots of 'hand close ups,' audio is also very good so you can hear everything he's saying. (You'll also get an hour of some of the best spey caster instructors in the world 'doing their thing.'

fae

#6 ·
Weaving flies is what I love.

The weave I do was patented in 1947 and I learned it a tender age of 13 and have been nuts for it every since.
A full 90% of the flies I dress are woven.
The size goes from a 55 mm Waddington shank
to a size 22 Rockwork.
If you want look at how I weave here is a link to my instructions on my site http://www.speyshop.com/weave.htm.
This will give you a look at the basic technique
and is a good place to start.

:smokin:

#8 ·
Of all the flies I can't tie,this is the one I can. I learned it from Aaron one Saturday and every time I pick out thread to tie with I wonder how it will look as a woven fly. I can sit all day I go at these but a regular fly beats me up. Go Aaron.

Jim Also known as old man in some circle's.

#9 · (Edited)
Chris, Aaron, et. al's film is in the can.

With a touch of luck (short meeting tomorrow AM) will be off in the post to you.
fae

Also included Paris Hilton's vid. ..... Naa .. you've got to look that one up on your own.

Snigger, snigger ...:devil:

Not sure if this is 'on point'... but her cell phone rings in the middle ....:smokin:

#11 ·
Aaron, any way (if I sent you a copy) of 'the tape.' ...

You could post same to your web site? Your run is about 10-12 minutes long, but it really covers the ground on how you do your woven fly's. Loardie only knows how many KB's it would take to down load if you weren't 'wired to the wall.'

fae

#14 ·
Flyfishal,

As Aaron so well explains, weaving is nothing more than making a series of overhand knots with the two body materials keeping the lighter color and the belly and the darker color as the back of the fly. The belly stripe is varied by the size or amount of the matierial used to form it. Weaving, as I know Aaron agrees, is not a difficult technique to learn.

#16 ·
I experimented with weaving a couple of years ago, but never mastered it. I think that there are a couple of amatuerish flys from me in the archives. The woven flys have a great multi color & texture appearance.

You may also find something by searching on the web for Tovril Korbu. 5 or 6 years ago she was in Flytier with some absolutely beautiful crochetted (sp?) flies, that won a Mustad competition.

#17 ·
I have the answer to this one.....

I have some tape of Vladi from Poland tying some woven polish nymphs in my room at the World Fly Fishing Championships in Spain this year. It is in MPG format and can be downloadedvia email. I "was" going to put it on my site later this year. But in the interest of this thread if anyof you would like an unedited copy of the file let me know. The bad news is that the files are probably 2-10 meg each.

Anyone want to volunteer for an editing job?

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.