Fly Fishing Forum banner

Your Favorite Pond Fly?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Wee Hooker 
#1 ·
Whats your favorite fly for ponds? I've only flyfished once on a pond because i got my fly stuff in november so everything was freezing over. I use the only fly i had, a dry fly and caught some panfish? What fly do you use for what specie? Im planning on some poppers in the summer for bass and gotta find something to use in the ponds for carp.

#2 ·
Ponds All Around

For a bass in a pond any kind of a frog imitation. They are a ton of them out there. I find that the spun deer hair ones work alot better for that kind of a fishing situation. It has a great action and a great sound. I think that any kind of hard bodied popper would almost sppok fish in a quiet pond. I like the deer hair I think that it has a little bit more suttle of a "gurgle." I would save the hard bodied poppers to call fish out of deeper water. I.E, Lake Erie Smallies love those hard bodied foam popper.

#3 ·
My favorite patterns for ponds are usually ones that will catch a variety of species. Rubber leg stonefly nymphs are very affective, especially on panfish and will catch their share of bass. For surface patterns, larger grasshoppers in sizes 6 and 8 will atract the attention of bass and larger panfish.

As for bass specifically, I love fishing poppers, and the ones that produce well for me are white sparsly tied ones. The white represents the beelly of the pray and a sparse tail adds movement to the fly even while at rest.

#4 ·
The past two years I have been fishing a large(#2-#1/0) gurgler type pattern for the local largemouth bass. I generally use solid chartreuse or white. I have found that the soft seductive sounds that the fly produces when retrieved/twitched have proven especially productive. Another of my favorite patterns for largemouth is a chartreuse Tabory snake fly. I tie these large and apply "bubble" type dolls eyes which seem to aid in the flotation of the pattern. I fish this pattern as a popper/slider type fly. In ponds with minimal vegetation I love to fish a big "hare worm" type of pattern with heavy lead eyes and a weed guard. There is just something about a rabbit strip that all species from trout to pike seem to respond positively too....and lets not forget a few lightly weighted clousers...good luck

#6 ·
My answer would depend on the season. Early and late in the year I would use flies that can be fished fairly slow and have lots of inherent action. Weighted or unweighted (depending on water depth) wooly buggers and nymphs are good for panfish, and rabbit tail clousers are good for bass. Late spring through late summer would find me throwing topwater early and late in the day, and even throughout the day when overcast. Subtle flies for calm water, louder flies for rippled water. During the bright midday sun, I 'd fish deceiver and hare worm type flies in shade and along dropoffs for bass and smaller versions for panfish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.