Fly Fishing Forum banner

rods for Baja

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
What is a good range of rod weights to take to Baja?

I've got salt #8 and #9 rods already. I'm willing to build 1 more, possibly 2.

I expect mostly beach fishing and some modest inshore. No bluewater. No sailfish. Tuna maybe, if they are readily available.

thanks!

#2 ·
Steve

For beach situations down there I would look seriously at Juro's Atlantic double handers.

I tried fishing from the beach in Cabo San Lucas and its very tough - mega dumper surf:eyecrazy: It get's a lot better around on the Sea of Cortez side I'm told.

That said, I reckon the powerful double hander would have brought the Pez Gallo into range even in the Cabo SL maelstrom :smokin:

Depends on where you'll be fishing. 8/9 would be a lot of fun with Sierra Macherel if they are in shore range but something with a bit more backbone would be helpful on windy days.

#3 ·
Since you are talking fishing from the beach in the carribe, I'd have to refer you to the recent adventures of Dennis Worley, pro-staffer at Kaufmann's Streamborn in Bellevue WA (east of Seattle). He recently took the Atlantis 1111 (CND's new 11ft 11/12wt two-handed surf flyrod) for a field test at Christmas Island, fishing the shoreline for trevally and other species.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?&threadid=13246

He commented that for this type of fishing, the rod is "the stuff".

I agree, I've been enjoying field testing prototypes in striper country over the past year. As each revision approached the envisioned ideal, the fish have been willing participants. I feel with complete sincerity that our production model, being built as we speak, has completely arrived.

The Atlantis rods will be ready for general availability within the next 30 days! More information:

www.cndspey.com/products.htm

#4 ·
Steve
I used a 10 wt most of the time (Dorado, roosterfish) but I also used an 8 occasionally when I was there a few years ago. I sometimes used a boat (panga) so I had better access. I agree that the Atlantis would be a good choice if fishing from shore (I expect mine to arrive in a few days!).
Bill

#5 ·
8 weight is fine for most beach situations. Cabo is rough, but the further north you go, starting as little as 15 miles on the sea of cortez, the easier things are. On the pacific side, it's always a crap shoot. 9 is good for the beach and a good light rod for inshore. 10 would be better as first choice in the boat for everything but the brutes, 40+ pound dorado, yellowfin, you get idea.

If you were going to build one rod I would definitely recommend a 10 wt. based on what you said you were going after. If sails and tuna are on the agenda, I would bump that up to an 11, and the 11 would still let you fully enjoy the smaller game.

If you want a good deal on a redington 10 wt, DFR instead of building give me a shout. Remember, redington is lifetime warranty for the rod, not the owner. Call first to make sure things haven't changed and they are still supporting the DFR since Sage Purchased them :devil:

#6 ·
The rods you take will depend on the type of fish you are chasing, which has alot to do with the time of the year you are in the baja. Friends and I have fished the Baja quite a bit, over the years. LaPaz/Loretto/Rancho Leanardo on the Sea of Cortez side and Cabo up through Todo Santos on the Pacific side. Sounds like you already have the 9 wt rigged up, that is a good all around general rod, especially if you are shore casting for smaller rooster fish. Most guys seem to bring 2 or 3 rods. An 11 wt is good addition to your 9, as 15 # dorado, and 8# tunas can bust a 9 wit. I have not had much luck with the bill fish, but roosterfish, dorado, tuna can be had from pangas within site of shore. I have seen 2 wahoos caught on flyrods, both guys were stretching out their lines behind the boat, while returning to port. The 13 wt landed about a 40#er. If I was taking only 2 rods the 9 and 11 would get my nod (I would try the 2 hander 11 wt from Juro). Intermediate and sinking shooting heads lines would be my choices. Dorado can be had on the surface at times, but even then a popper on an intermediate line works fine. Good Luck. DK

:chuckle: :chuckle: ;)

#7 ·
I wound up purchasing 2 blanks for 10 weights, and *hope* to purchase a completed 11 weight from a board member sometime soon...

The real issue now is March / April seems to be a less than ideal time to hit Baja. A Bahamas alternative will cost several thousand dollars more :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy: and we don't have that kind of money. As I read more and more about the costs of bonefishing trips I have to wonder -- are all fly anglers super rich like the stereotype says? I only seem to meet the steelhead bums with ratty old pickups and patched waders..

#8 ·
I think we know the same steelhead junkies....,
Baja can be done fairly cheaply, if you watch how you spend your money and go with another angler, who will split the cost of the occasonal panga with you. A couple books, Baja on the Fly, Angling Baja:One Mans' journey through the surf can help get you started. A trip to the travel section at a decent bookstore or library can get you some "baja travel guides", they are pretty reliable. I have had a great time, everytime I have gone to Baja.., even with good planning the "catching" can be variable. But, that's why they call it fishing. Best part about it, is that your boss won't be able to run you down on your cell phone....,
Adios,
DK

#9 ·
But you're comparing a bare-bones Baja trip to a fully outfitted lodge experience in the Bahamas. One can do the Bahamas and other Caribbean areas on a slim budget by going to an area that has good wading flats and staying in small motels. Many of us don't choose to go that way because we'll catch far more fish for the time we're there if we hire a guide and have access to a boat so we can fish several flats. Of course, one can do Baja the same way. In fact, considering the price of some of Cabo's hotels, it must be pretty easy to spend far more on a Baja trip. I do bonefishing from a lodge at least twice a year and spend another week fishing for permit from a lodge, and I'm only a retired schoolteacher. One doesn't have to be super rich, or even rich, one simply has to set some priorities. It sounds silly, but it's amazing how much more money we have for travel since my wife and I gave up smoking back in 1992. A lot of the people I meet at lodges are anything but rich, but they find a way to enjoy a trip or two a year by monitoring their other expenses ruthlessly.

#10 ·
I was planning this same trip last year, but had to abort at the last minute. Everyone told me to leave the 8 at home and bring the 9 & 11 combo for panga fishing.

After much consultation with my beach guide, I was going to bring two-handers of 12' & 14' or 15' for fishing the beach. I was advised that a cast of fifty-yards would give me a much better chance of scoring a rooster from the beach. RB Meiser and his band of merry fly anglers have been using the two-handers for the beach roosters for some time now, so he would be a good resource for you.

Another might be Gary Graham who runs a shore guiding business on the East Cape I believe. I have heard that he has also been messing around with the two-handers down there.

If you had to add one rod to the arsenal for fishing the beach down there, I would urge you to consider a stout two-hander of 12-14' in length. Seeing that you are in Oregon, it shouldn't be too difficult to get your hands on some sticks to evaluate.

Nick Curcione also has a book out called, " Baja on the Fly."

#11 ·
A rooster from the beach is high on my must-do list for sure. Hopefully, it happens soon as I can't even look at one without dreaming of the day...

Good luck with the trip Loco, let me know if I can send you a demo Atlantis 1111 to bring down with you, if I have one available when you are headed south I'll gladly ship it out.

Thanks for the tip Jay, I have to check out Nick's book and pick his brain about it this weekend at the Marlboro show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.