Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pontoon questions ???

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Brian Simonseth 
#1 ·
I've been researching pontoons for a couple of months now and have read and found some good info - but still have cold feet (must be my float tube). I know there are some great boats out there and it seems the Outcast, Steelheader and Skaddens get lots of praise. I guess besides wondering where a guy can try before he buys - my questions are specifically about other boats.

1 I am intrigued by Water Skeeters "Double Take 2 " and also the 1018 by Creek Company. I guess the double take is relatively new so I dont know if anybody out there has been in one - but I like the idea but I'm concerned how it really floats. The 1018 on the other hand seems like an incredibly beefy boat for the price and wonder if people have feedback on it. Also the 2 man boat by Creek Company can be set up for 1 person as well as 2 - does anybody have experience floating a large boat by themselves.

Thanks for the info!! RiffleFisher

TyinFlieswhenYourHavinFun !

#3 ·
The 1018 is a great boat for the money. It floats high and handles moderate whitewater well. It will also carry a ton if you so desire. Mine was broken in with a guy on the oars, a full coooler of beer and a guy on the cooler for a row across the Deschutes a few years back.

That being said, it is not the equal of the Steelheader or any of the similar priced boats out there. You get what you pay for. For my uses, it works great but if you want a bullet proof boat, step up to the other options.

#4 ·
I borrowed a friends 2 person pontoon for a float and was glad that I did...so I wouldn't buy one! I found it very difficult to enter and exit the center seat from where I was rowing and nearly impossible to fish two guys from the boat. Just for getting from hole to hole it worked ok with the exception of entry and exit from the boat. The addition of a floor vs. foot strap for the rower may have made these problems non existant but the way the boat came set up from the factory it left a lot to be desired.

I totally agree that you get what you pay for in this market and going cheep is not the way to go. I recommend you take a look at some of the whitewater companies offereings (NRS, Maravia, Aire, etc.) and see what they have in catarafts that may interest you as well.
Chris

#5 ·
I own an Outcast Pac 800 which is at Outcast higher end range. I never thought there was much difference in the boats till I was floating the PM last fall and talked with several other guys with boats. I had wanted to upgrade to a two person boat to take my 10 year old son next year and had been looking hard at the ODC Line. I must say I heard more guys say stay away from that brand than any other brand, Seems to be a fair amount of bladder failure. One guy stated he had to replace his twice within a 3 year period. Also talked with another guy whose frame broke at a weld while on the river? A good friend of mine just bought a lower end $300 water skeeter which seemed to do the job till the oarlock broke off the frame the 1st time out. I also noted they mount the seat about 2" higher than my outcast which doesn’t sound like much till you have the bottom drop out and you try to lift yourself up on the seat. You guys that have them know what I'm talking about. I also noted his seat is not adjustable but fixed in one spot. If you have long or short legs this may be a problem. With that said, it always comes down to one thing! You get what you pay for. Will the less expensive do the job?? Yes!! But at what cost? There's nothing worse than a fishing trip gone south due to equipment failure. If you can try to go to a large shop that may have a few models to try. Sit in them and see how they feel. All in all it's the only way to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.