Fly Fishing Forum banner

Western North Carolina

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  nmbrowncom 
#1 ·
I recently moved to Asheville, NC a couple months ago and have fly fished many of the rivers around here to no avail. I have only caught a couple little browns. I'm fairly new to fly fishing so I do not understand fly selection very well. Anyone have some recommendation on what to use around this area? Someone told me small dry flies work the best. Any help would be great!

#2 ·
Is their a local fly shop around? If no fly shop, stop in at all the local sporting goods stores and ask the folks their. That is the only advice I can offer. Here is a good idea, start flipping rocks in the stream and see what bugs are present or get a nymph sain and see what bugs you come up with and match those. Also search for a hatch chart on the internet for those streams. I hope this helps.

#3 ·
I went camping two years in row in the smokey mtns when I was in college(LONG TIME AGO) and accessed right on the tenesse/NC border. Lots of little creeks with wild fish. Even when I was down there folks in the rural country stores spoke of fish in the creeks. This was pre fly days for me so I went with an UL and pack full of panther martins.... however, when I went we were rained out completey and didn't have much time to fish as time was spent staying dry and eating crappy food, and puffin down. I always think of these trips when I see the scenes for COLLEGE GIRLS gone wild and wonder why I never went some where crazy with chicks...anyways enough from me. Good luck on your ventures

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.