Fly Fishing Forum banner

this weekend

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  trutta 
#1 ·
Thinking about taking a crack at one of the Plymouth ponds this weekend, as there are reportedly broodstock salmon swimming about. is anyone else fishing this weekend?

I am also curious as to people's thoughts on whether there is any real chance of hooking one of these gals on a fly. I don't know much about how DFW maintains these fish while they serve their eggbearing purpose, but I picture pellet fed fish that are more likely to snack on power bait, or (heaven forbid) a deaddrifted salmon egg fly rather than a nicely tied muddler or marabou grey ghost. Do these fish loose their small prey instinct sitting in domesticated tanks their whole life??????

#2 ·
Jeff - I have second hand knowledge of broodstock taking shiny spinners and flies in shallow water but only during warm weather. The buzz on the virtual street is that the ponds have turned over (fish are now holding in deeper water). Sink tips with wooly buggers might be your best shot this weekend. Good luck! -- Al

#3 ·
Jeff:
you're a lucky dog to be able to go fishing. Even if I could, it's -22 Celsius in Montreal today ==8-O
Broodstock landlocks will indeed hit flies. I have seen large ones that fought well and others that came in like a a wet sack of potatoes. Go figure. Don't know what kind of water temperature you have in those ponds now, but I remember doing well in the north woods of NY, fishing streamers about a foot down, as late as november.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.