Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tuna flyu swap

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  josko 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd mention we're running a tuna fly swap this winter. Only one rule: the fly you submit must have caught a tuna (any offshore species). I've been running the thread on FFSW, and we're up to 8 people. If interested, tie and send in a dozen (or couple dozen) flies. I'll make sure you get at least as many flies back, selected across all contributions.
It's an honor system, but remember, the fly you send in must have caught a (bluefin, longfin, yellowfin, blackfin, or other) offshore tuna.
Let me know, here or elsewhere, if you'd like to participate.
My mailing address is:

Josko Catipovic
P.O. Box 705
Woods Hole, MA 02543

#2 · (Edited)
I take it it has to be one that the tyer caught or is a fly thst has caught Tuna...by that I mean I have not caught a tuna on a fly yet..only conventional gear, but I know of flies that have caught tuna,plus people like Combs, etc. have proven flies for this..like the Sea habit's, etc...I would love to participate..just need a clarification. I can always stop in to visit Bob Pink in Brookline when I visit my mother who lives a couple blocks from him and get some of his patterns and ask him if I can tye one of his proven patterns.

#3 ·
This started as a way for local tuna flyfishers to share info on fly patterns, but I see no reason it shouldn't encompass other PROVEN patterns. I'm in with 2 or three patterns: one that worked for me in Mass. bay this fall, one that worked south of MV in July, and possibly one that worked for me off Hawaii.
If you know for a fact that someone has caught a tuna on a particular fly, feel free to offer it up to the swap.

Hooking a tuna on a fly certainly counts just as much as landing it.

#6 ·
Josko, How did the swap go?
I am not worthy to enter this year because by the time I got a fly into a school of BBFT they had spooked out for the day. I am very interested in what worked last year and any good tuna tales. Will you be posting pics of the swap flies? Recipies if anyone included them? I am most interested in what hooks stuck and held fish. I've tied on the Trey Comb's 4/0 but it's a bit large for P-nuts. Anyone hook and hold on the Varivas 900S? They have a nice wide gap for thier size with a nice return on the point.

#7 ·
I'm still waitikng on a few stragglers, but it's amazing hw similar the flies turned out to be (with a few exceptions). I hadn't really thought about posting them, but I think the swap will be a worthwhile enlightenment for those who contributed. I know it will help me have more confidence in the patterns I'll be pitching this summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.