Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Zealand Fly line recommendation

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
this is my first post, so firstly I'd like to say hi!

I'm relatively new to the noble sport, time being the key! I live in New Jersey, but my wife is from New Zealand, and we're planning a trip back over Xmas / New Year - it is not a fishing trip - but I do hope to do some!

Getting to the point, I recently obtained a travel rod and reel for the trip - a March Brown Hidden Water rod, (9' 7wt) saltwater version and a Tibor Backcountry reel - I plan to use this for trout and possibly some saltwater.

My question - does anyone have any specific advice on line - type, color, taper etc.? - would it be advisable/necessary to set up another spool? and other suggestions?

Much appreciated

#2 ·
I have never been to NZ, but from what I've studied on the country's fishing I can give you some advice about line taper and color.

The trout in those crystal clear waters can be exceptionally spooky, so a delicate presentation line such as a double taper is probably best. For color, stay with muted tones and stay away from attention grabbing bright colors.

Welcome to the Forum, and please let us know how you do on your trip.

#3 ·
NZ Trout

Hello,

I've been to NZ 8 times so far with another trip on the map for Feb 05. I've always used green or tan colored lines. Most of the time, in the situations I fish, if the fish sees your flyline (no matter the color), you are hosed. Long leaders are all the fish should see. I'd concentrate on the casting characteristics of the line and if possible, get a muted color of some sort just in case.

There are 2 main casting characteristics to consider if you are talking about the south island.

1) Wind. It is a windy bugger down there much of the time. In some valleys, it would be impossible to exaggerate the wind power. Get something you can drive into the wind if you need to - or at least have that sort of line available.

2) Close Quarters Much of the time you are fishing with restricted casting room.

I've always had 4-6wt 9' rods, but this year I'll try a sage 6wt 10' xp. Mostly for increased roll casting ability over the 9'. I love my 8100xp for steelhead. I've tried the Cortland "spring creek" lines, but I don't care for them too much. I like the Cortland rocket taper line (and SA steelhead taper) for its roll casting, but it requires you have a fair bit of line out to load the rod so it isn't that great in the wind.

This year, for my main rod, I'll have both a shorter (wind) and longer (roll casting) belly line.

Think wind and close quarters.

Cheers,

-tony

#5 ·
Man, good to hear we have some experienced NZer's here. I'm planning a honeymoon there in about a year tentatively and will definitely have to check back in to get some help. Any Saltwater opputunities there, as that's what I'm most geared up for?

#6 ·
Another one bite the dust....

Nick said:
Man, good to hear we have some experienced NZer's here. I'm planning a honeymoon there in about a year tentatively and will definitely have to check back in to get some help. Any Saltwater opputunities there, as that's what I'm most geared up for?
Congrats Nick. Didn't realize you stepped off the edge (or are at least leaning real hard) as well.

Sean

#7 ·
(thread hijacked, sorry)...Yeah, next spring the knot gets tied in the Keys. We're probably going to stay for a few days, but take our real honeymoon next winter in NZ. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.