Fly Fishing Forum banner

Setting eyes

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
John. I noticed in your last pic of the Slammer that you have the eyes set back on the bucktail with a smaller head. When I do my heads I usually bring the Goop or epoxy back on the wing a bit more and set the eyes while it is still setting up so that I can squeese them into the glue a bit, but it makes for some rather large heads especialy on the smaller flies. Have you experienced any falling off of eyes that are mounted on the hair? Or am I concerned over nothing. My usual drill is to tie off, add a layer of Hard Head, let set, add eyes and then epoxy over the whole thing. Makes big heads but It looks good and they never come off.
Slinger

#2 ·
Steve...a couple things..I usually drop some drops of epoxy to seal in the eyes..the epoxy will flow though the feathers and attach to each other at the shank... This is fairly secure..but you can have them fall off no matter how you secure them...This is just the way that Sedotti does his original patterns... By epoxying at the thread tie..you have done a better job at securing the eyes into the head and they will not fall off. A head or ball of epoxy covering the eyes at the eye tye is always more secure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.