Fly Fishing Forum banner

Maybe not the right place but....

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bob Pink 
#1 ·
Hey guys I was just wondering what you think of my newest venture? I am contemplating buying a new 18ft Lund Alaskan Center Console and doing a little customising to it for the salt. Anyone have one? They look pretty plush. It comes with everything, the only thing I want to add is a poling platform and maybe a few other goodies. Ever since that article in Salt Water Flyfishing about the guy who took a 16ft Lund SSV and turned into a nice little Flats boat I wanted to try the same. I have seen some guides on the Cape and Rhody use them. I think it would be a perfect industructable fishing machine. I have an old Sea Nymph tin boat a freind and I customized for the Salt but I think its time to upgrade. Let me know if you have any ideas or advice.

Thanks

#3 ·
Mike - I rode in one last year. it was a windy day and we were against the tide - I got wet, wetter than I would have liked but I had fun (attitude).

We fished with 3 guys in it, all with fly - a little snug. I cast left handed & the other 2 were righties, still a little snug. We took turns, not too bad - if the fish were hitting, might have been a different story...

The guy has a trolling motor mounted in front - nice rig for getting in and out of the rocky places. Overall I'd say it's a good rig for 2 anglers - we had it outside Boston Harbor so I can't comment on the flats boat setup.

good luck,
TMS

#4 ·
You're right on target Mike, there are a lot of those set up's around & the number is growing.

While Adrian's offer is very generous, I think you'd be better served by pratice poling a fat guy like me around as you try to spot fish for me to cast to. I'd even bring my own fly rods, you just have to provide boat, gas, food & drink, flies, suncreen, serving wenches...:hehe:

#5 ·
Well Well

I myself am not to skinny so ..... anyway thanks for the comments. I am planning to study for a Captains license within 5 years. I may never use it to guide but I would like learn and have a great knowledge of the water. Who knows you may see me in the magazines one day. ( Actually I've been in a few newspapers and some advertisements ). On a side note I cant frigg'n wait until I can throw some flies!! Soon brothers Soon.

#7 ·
shm,

I also think lund makes a nice product but I haven't seen many with a poling platform. Given the lower gross weight of the tin boats I've wondered if raising the center of gravity by having an adult male standing 3' above the gunnel would increase the boats tendency to rock on it's beam. Not trying to imply it would be a safety issue, more a comfort one.

Thje other thing about poling platforms, if you are fishing solo, you'd get better results with a trolling motor and casting from the foredeck than trying to manage a pushpole and cast from the platform.

Aside from that, you can sure do a lot of good things with a well setup tin boat. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.