Fly Fishing Forum banner

albies

4K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  JonC 
#1 ·
You guys seen any albies around? I'm going to make a serious effort for them pretty soon.

#2 ·
was into them this past weekend up around new seabury to bournes pond in falmouth first light till about 10 a.m., dont know about your area in chatham but feel free to leave the great whites behind and come play in falmouth/mashpee. i was on foot both sat and sunday and fish where blitzing all over...and the boat boys doing what they do best run gun run gun!

#10 ·
Alot of albies are around, its making them eat thats the trick. I 've been having good and bad days. One day 9 next zero; Sad part was that zero day I had Dave Kopji (Dave17) and his father on board. Fished from falmouth to hyannis then pulled the boat out and launched at Saquatucket and fished the out side of Monomoy and surrounding area for the big zero. Thats the way it goes. I'm hearing RI and Montauk are more consistant. See you out there and good luck.

#12 ·
Albies

Last Saturday there were some albies just outside Stage Harbor. I had 7 strikes on a small silver popper. Hooked 2 and loss both after brief fights.

I went out again this morning (Tuesday) and while the albies were still there the numbers seemed to be down. I only managed 2 stikes, no hookups. I only fished for a little over an hour on each trip.

Dan

#14 ·
Albies

Only able to get out for about an hour yesterday (Friday) and had no luck finding albies off Hardings beach. Don't know if they have left the area or if it was just the wrong stage of the tide. Nothing else moving either.

It was a beautiful morning. Wish I'd have had the time to run down to Monomoy Point. Suspect there are some nice bass out there too.

Dan

#18 ·
Funny, I caught three yesterday, I was in disbelief until the third one which was big enough to make impossible not to know what they were.
JC

#21 ·
Dave, I have heard firsthand from Garry and Paxton, both caught jack crevalle about a week ago at Hardings Beach. Paxton (Ron) would know they were jacks. He catches them annually at Sanibel. There was a picture of a jack caught on Morris Island on another site. And I can say it was a jack. Crazy huh?

#22 ·
Jim -- glad to see you back on the forum!

It would be a nice silver lining to the dark cloud of global warming if this became part of the jack crevalle's northern range. I've heard they are one of the strongest fighters in the sea and are often caught from the beach.

Several years ago I caught a couple of juvie amberjacks from a jetty in Falmouth, so maybe it's not too uncommon to see fish like this as occasional visitors, but I've gotta say that the mahi in Pleasant bay is rather bizarre!

Q

#23 ·
After figuring out what I'd caught, I looked crevalle jacks up to find out their natural range, according to what I read they show up as far north as Nova Scotia, so we're well within that.
JC

#24 ·
I saw the pic on the 'other' website. That's wild! I saw a puffer fish at Montauk a couple of weeks ago which was a first for me. Lot's of lost ocean "drifters" around this time of year.

To get back to the original topic, the albies seem to have thinned out considerably even at the late-season places. I was able to get a couple on Saturday at Montauk but there were far, far fewer fish than a few weeks ago. Watch hill was completley dead in the morning.

Jim good to hear from you. I'm coming out to PA/OH for some steelhead fishing in a few weeks...can't wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.