Fly Fishing Forum banner

In Preparation for Ocean Clave 2005

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  D3Smartie 
#1 ·
As many are interested in attending Ocean Clave 2005, how would people like to get a saltwater salmon fly swap, finishing flies around May 1st, giving some time to tie new ideas for their trial by salt?

#6 ·
Ocean Pacific Salmon Fly Swap

Regardless of whether the Ocean Clave materializes or not, would anyone like to go ahead with a fly swap? I'd be glad to receive and send out all the flies. Ideas for patterns?

#7 ·
Ocean clave:

If Neah Bay is going to have restrictions on Sunday fishing, then there are two options:

1) we fish Fri and Sat at Neah Bay, then do some spey fishing on the nearby rivers on Sunday

2) we base camp out of Sekiu which has good camping, facilities and easy access to fish right out front in Clallam Bay

Sekiu is not closed Sunday (I believe) and has widely available boat rentals but booking them requires some advance planning. Neah bay has the better fishing and is the original site for the clave, but it seems that it will be a Fri-Sat only fishery.

We need to get an idea of what a reliable date might be wherein (a) the season is sure to be open and (b) we'll have decent numbers of fish to chase. We will also need to be sure we can lock in dates for campsites and boat rentals for those who do not have a boat of their own.

Do we have a volunteer from western WA to post the regulations for Neah Bay and Sekiu this season?

#8 · (Edited)
FDFW regs for neah bay

I was having some difficulty copying just the pages I wanted for the applicable regs as they are in pdf format, so here is the web site address for the Washington marine fishing rules for 2005-2006 season:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2005/05regs_5.pdf

Look under marine areas 5 and 6. Below are copy and pasted rules for the two areas.

Marine Area 4 - Neah Bay:

Salmon fishing is open only Tuesday through Saturday in Neah Bay, Area 4, starting July 1:
SALMON - ENTIRE AREA July 1-Sept. 18
Open Tuesdays through
Saturdays ONLY.
CHINOOK - min. size 24". COHO - min. size. 16". Other SALMON species - no min.
size. Daily limit 2 (combined). No more than 1 CHINOOK may be retained. Release
wild COHO. Release CHUM Aug. 1-Sept. 18. East of the Bonilla-Tatoosh line:
CHINOOK retention allowed July 1-July 31 only, and east of a true north-south
line through Sail Rock CLOSED to SALMON fi shing July 1-July 31. See Kydaka
Point Closure below. Season may close earlier if quota of 12,667 hatchery
COHO or 4,300 CHINOOK guideline is attained.

Marine Area 5 - Sekiu and Pillar Point:

SPECIES SEASON ADDITIONAL RULES
SALMON - ENTIRE AREA
(CHINOOK Selective Fishery)
July 1-Aug. 10 CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 2
(combined) plus 2 additional PINK. Release wild CHINOOK, wild COHO, and CHUM.
Handling Rule in effect for wild CHINOOK, wild COHO, and CHUM. Hatchery
CHINOOK retention may close earlier if an overall quota of 3,500 CHINOOK is
attained. See Kydaka Point Closure below.
Aug. 11-Sept. 30 No min. size. Daily limit 2 (combined) plus 2 additional PINK. Release all CHINOOK,
wild COHO, and CHUM. Handling Rule in effect for all CHINOOK, wild COHO, and
CHUM. See Kydaka Point Closure below.
Nov. 1-Nov. 30 CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 2
(combined). No more than 1 CHINOOK may be retained.
Feb. 16-Apr. 10 CHINOOK - min. size 22". Other SALMON species - no min. size. Daily limit 1.

So there's the sad bad news on Neah Bay summer salmon.

ALSO, I had some input from a third party on the ready availability of rental boats, and in essence Big Salmon Resort have some for $100 bucks a day, but they are marginally seaworthy craft, at best for calm seas: "People rent them and they work, they just don't inspire confidence when you see them." Hopefully there are some other places with better water craft available. Anyone know of better boat rentals available? I for one would like to rent a decent boat for the weekend, or try to hook up with someone who has a boat for at least one day.

#9 ·
The Big Salmon boats are not very good. They are probably poor at best, especially for the bigger swells and chop.
The boats are Sekiu are very similar but they are more suited to the calmer waters in the strait.

I am for sure going to be ready to go out there for a couple days. I have a boat that could accomadate a coule others if needed. Mayve one other if we are going to be casting flies all day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.