Sure, I'll be the meister.

Looks like we're up to 6 swappers (still room for more!):

flyjkol
Quentin
John D
CDG
Shaq
Natrix

We each submit 6 flies and get back 1 fly from each of the other participants (5 flies total). The extra flies are traditionally the "meister" flies but I will donate them to the Forum raffle.

Deadline will be March 1 so that I can get the raffle flies in time for the Wilmington show (March 12 and 13). Send me a PM when you're ready to mail your flies and I'll send you my address.

Your package should include:

- Your flies!

- Tying instructions so that I can post them in the warmwater archives (or you may post them yourself if you prefer).

- A self-addressed, postage paid return package for me to send the swap flies back to you. Here's my suggestion: put your flies in a mailing box or other suitable mailing package with your name and address on it. Don't use too small of a box because the flies you get back might be bigger than the ones you send. Put on enough postage to cover that package and add some extra postage because the flies you get back might be heavier than the flies you send. Put that box or package into a mailing envelope and send it to me.

Let the tying begin!

If I forgot anything or if you have any questions please speak up.

Q

#11 ·
Definitely! You're in Natrix.

Now we're up to 6 flies each. I'll set that as the maximum, although more people can still join. If we get more swappers then you still send in 6 flies and get 5 back (the extra one is for the Forum raffle).

BTW, you don't have to submit 6 of the same fly. You can do them all the same, all different, or any combination in between. One of the benefits of doing these swaps is that we add all the new flies to the archives, so if you have several good patterns and want to mix it up feel free to do so!

Q

#15 ·
Prototype for my swap entry

Here's my prototype crayfish fly during the tank test (well, my bathroom sink). The fly is weighted along the shank so it will supposedly fish with the hook inverted, but it doesn't work all the time. The claws need to be a little fuller, which should help, and I'll try using a little more weight or changing the way it's tied on. Or maybe I'll use foam for part of the shell. Hmm . . .

Q

Attachments

#20 ·
Crayfish Swap

Hears my bug

Hook: ????? Ill look.
Thread: Black flat waxed nylon
Body: Leach yarn, with #10 dry fly hackle & #10 oval silver tinsel
Legs: Stripped Rig neck Pheasant tail wound three times
Eyes: Burned florescent red 30# amnesia
Head: Spun Deer hair tips
Claws: Craft fur
Weight: Extra small lead dumbbells.

Attachments

#22 ·
CDG - you only need to send one copy of the tying instructions so I can post them in the archives with a photo of the fly. Or, if you prefer, you can post the instructions yourself. I'll post the photo and you can add the instructions. You're welcome to do your own photo as well, just post the photo and instructions in the warmwater archives and include "crayfish swap" somewhere in the message so people can find it with the search feature.

Nice fly Natrix. Looks deadly! (Awesome photo too.)

Mark -- the blurry photo conceals some of the flaws :hihi: . Maybe the camera focused on the surface of the water and not on the fly? I think I got the body shape down pretty good and the antennae came out great (stripped hackles colored brown and coated with Soft Body). I'll post a better photo and tying instructions when I finalize the design.

Can't wait to see the rest of the entries!

Q

#26 ·
I hate to have to do this but I dislocated by shoulder and had to have surgery on it and now i'm immobilized for about 3 weeks. I didn't get a chance to finish my flies and I'm not sure what you guys want to do. If you want to wait until i'm able to finish them or if you just want to cut me out of the swap, either way is fine with me. I apologize for the inconvenience. I hate typing with one hand.

CDG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.