Fly Fishing Forum banner

Striper line!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bonefishmon 
#1 ·
Had a fantastic time fishing last night. Three keepers. Hooked a shad which proceeded to get devoured by a very large bass that I got a visual on. Took the Hickory Shad right out from under my nose as I was trying to land it. No joke, this fish was over 50 inches easily. Anyone else watching might have thought it was a shark!

Fought the fish hard for twenty minutes. It wrapped a rock and I no longer own a clear 9 weight striper line! Broke off at the connection to the backing trying to pull it back in.

Does anyone have a Sci- Angler clear, cold water 9 weight line, new or used for sale.
Thought I'd check here before I order a new one.

Thanks.

Phil Sheffield

#2 ·
:eek:

That's quite a story! I had a similar escapade with a snapper blue and a big striper once. For that matter I've had a slammer blue take a schoolie bass before as well. But in both cases I never got to fight the fish very long. Sounds like you might have had a chance to LAND this giant fish!

Will you be making any changes to the attachment method of backing to flyline as a result of this experience?

#4 ·
Juro. I use a backing loop to loop that has never failed me in the past. Most of my lines are made from Amnesia braided running line that with the use of a special tool, have a loop with the Chinese finger effect over the tip of the fly line. The end is nailed notted with ten lb. test mono and glued over with plibond for holding power. Ran out of the braided stuff for this line though! Live and learn!!!!!! That line was solid stuck!!!
Pointed the rod and pulled. Oh well. May don the mask and snorkel tomorrow during low tide! Only a few minutes from home.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.