Fly Fishing Forum banner

Catch and RELEASE!

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
This just in,
A man was leaving a fishing spot in Kalama Wa. with a 20# salmon in his backpack, and was acousted by a Cougar! The cat jumped on him, knocking m to the ground, clawing at the backpack where the fish was stored....
Moral....just release them...it's healthier!
I am headed for the upper Santiam this eve for field research.
Deerhawk

#4 · (Edited)
...fresh dead bait...

Last season a member of the white-bucket-brigade was accosted by an unidentified "penguinesque" figure while negotiating the lighthouse stairs at Chatham...
Police reports indicate several dozen sand eels were eaten on-the-spot and a jar of Chinese mustard yielded no prints or DNA.
:D

#6 ·
I've had a few tales of solo kayakers getting buzzed by the local seal pack on Monomoy - one near horror story. I usually try to keep my distance but they were all over the flats last year in less than five feet of water.

I recall Juro had one take a fancy to his deep eel one year.

Hey DEERHAWK, you didn't tell us wether the Cougar got the Salmon?;)

#8 ·
Yes, and there were witnesses. The seal was foraging where I had landed several large bass. He loomed into view and gave me a start. I started stripping faster and thump!!! He was on!

The drag screemed bloody murder and pop went the leader. He surfaced with the same look on his face as my dog has when he craps on the rug! :hehe: None the worse for wear as he swam away.

One day I ventured out too far before the tide dropped on a flat and a very large bull seal (600 lbs?) was still eating his lunch. He didn't like my presence at all, but I figured hey it's just a seal. WRONG! He came at me at such a speed that his bulging brow created a pressure wave as his black eyes were fixed on me, swerved at the last second, scared the living out of me! Ever have that dream where you can't run fast enough? I was living it realtime as I "ran" off that deep shoal back to dry land! :eyecrazy:

#9 ·
I have had several fiesty seals, on different occations, make fake charges at me during the years... Also had them take fish as well..but at the same time, I have landed stripers among seals as well with no ill effects to the fish...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.