Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip---now?

3K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
To the Rip Trip participants...Juro, and the crew..should we start thinking about scheduling some rip trips to South Monomoy... Even if we schedule more, we could always fill them up..I have no doubt about that but keep in mind that weather is always a factor so I am for starting to schedule soon... like this month or early July.. We could schedule and still get cancelled because of any number of issues including weather.. It would be ashame to schedule only a few and end up have to cancel those because of cancelable events.. What say Ye?

#3 ·
I fished the beach down there a little while ago and though I missed the "magic" time on the rip the beaches had many schools of big bass cruising them. That made the whole time a "magic" time. I'd say it would be worth planning ASAP.

#8 ·
Well, it sounds like people want to do it so lets do it. Sorry if I have been a little distracted about claves for the last couple of days - but since we'll be the only ten people in an area bigger than Barnstable's Sandy Neck I know we won't be bothering anyone. 8)

The days were picked based on transitionals and of crux mapping of journal log information from the Nantucket / Vineyard Sound fish weir statistics published by Sharpe and Nichols since 1976 (Apogee Press). Must admit available vacation days of early signup members and long-range weather predictions were the biggest factors since tide doesn't make any difference - but if you are interested in more reasons for picking these dates just ask about it on the boat cause it's a pretty long ride.

John Morin is the coordinator so I will need to confirm dates with him and either he or I will post them as soon as I talk to him about it.

#10 ·
Out there on the point there is a beautiful, pristine place where the whole world seems to be young and you can walk for miles without seeing another soul if that floats one's boat.

You can just as easily enjoy each other's company, and sometimes the fishing is half-decent ;-)

#18 ·
Sorry about the delay... since John raised the motion to trip the rip (rip the trip? rip some lip?) I am waiting until our busy day job schedules mesh so we can see what he has in mind.

Meanwhile, I will be working on the signup sheet and we'll plug in the info based on the discussion with John.

BTW -

Some of you have done the trip before, so if there are any suggestions from the group this is the time and place!

#19 ·
Throw my name in the hat and if I've counted right I am #16 . Don't know the logistics of setting up a trip like this but it would appear that we are pushing the #20 mark. Only a thought but having two dates to choose from could be the logical solution to a numbers problem.

#20 ·
I will definitely be in for one of these!

Quote from Juro:

"Out there on the point there is a beautiful, pristine place where the whole world seems to be young and you can walk for miles without seeing another soul if that floats one's boat"

According to Bruce there are some "hippy girls" camped out in small huts doing bird counts for th Natural History Museum so there may just be the odd distraction - "No way, not me, never" ...they all cried in unison. ;)

#22 ·
LOL!

Leave it to Capt.Bruce! He doesn't miss a thing when he's out scoping the rips.

Geez I wonder if they are taking volunteers... I'd gladly count birds for the opportunity to camp on the refuge and sneak a little prime time fishing in.

Naw the hippie chicks would probably lecture us to give up fishing, or worse yet get their undies in a knot about us "clavin" on "their" beach! }>

#23 ·
JimW (06-20-2001 06:54 p.m.):
I'm in depending on the date. As I understood it there would be a sign up form. or is this it?
Jim -

Sorry about the delay, there is a sign-up form but I am working out the dates with John when we are able to hook up.

We are not going to be going this weekend, I know that. Most of the folks I talked to indicated a conflict of schedule with family and work extending into the weekends enough to make this weekend less than ideal for such an undertaking, meaning that there is more to it than just showing at the causeway with ten bucks, etc - and Keith hasn't been given any notice to boot so if he hasn't planned for Tom to run R/R#1 or #2 given a slow run back or whatever. This weekend should be a good sight fishing weekend on Monomoy, fingers crossed.

There will be plenty of time to sign up and I think to be fair we will mention when the sign up will become available so people might plan to be online at those times. There will be multiple dates so everyone should get a chance.

I suspect John will post something soon,
Juro

#24 ·
I met one of those "hippy" girls last year on my kayak trip to the rip. She seemed nice, no lecture about fishing and she took time out from her counting to show me some whale bones washed up on the beach. I think she was starved for human contact - either that or she wanted to make off with my kayak. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.