Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip #72, 8/26 or 27

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I have 3- 4 other people who would like to do a rip trip either 8/26 or 8/27 pending Rip Ryders availability. High tide is around 9:30 AM so it could be a very exciting morning fishing the drop.

1. Roop
2. Pete Heino
3. John Carbone
4. Derek Duggan

Same procedure as before pending availability.

Roop

#2 ·
Hey Roop,
After viewing Juro's picture of you @ S. Mon. I can see why you are trying to get another group together!!!!!! (Nice Fish!!!)
I myself am looking forward to heading out there. It's been way to long since my last trip out!! Working nights kills ya.
Has there been a response from Rip Ryder regarding two possible boat shuttles for the 26th? Let's hope so.
Hope all is well.
BrianZ.

#3 ·
Just to be the devils advocate for alternate locales and ideas, I remind you of the 6.5 hours of nada out there. Technically speaking, that Chatham light night produced more and bigger fish than that one Rip Tip Trip Skip. And if the light doesn't produce you can get in a vehicle and hit THE REST OF THE CAPE! (uh oh..blasphemy against Monomoy).

TerryW (who's got my bronzeback flies ready to go)

#4 ·
Roop, I would like to make that trip also but since it would be my third after tomorrow I would defer to others who have not made the trip.. by the way,just a thought ..would that point at the rip accomodate 24 flyfishermen??? I guess it could and there are still other places down there to explore and be productive.

#6 ·
J - Is there a trip scheduled for the 26th & I just can't find it(or haven't looked hard enough)? Who's on the list?

Terry, I disagree. There were fish there to be caught as Hawkeye showed us. I even landed a few throughout the day. I believe it is a manner of technique (which I'm still trying to learn) as well as patience in letting your fly sink. Something most of us were not doing.

John - Let me know who you got.

Roop

#8 ·
Monomoy, spirit of striped darkness, bringer of evil wanderings in the night, bearer of stranding tides and burning suns high on the horizon, possessor of thoughts and stealer of passion, disciples identified by random double haul motions in business clothes and far away eyes like scarlet sunrises over ocean surf. Monomoy Worship... is it wrong?

#9 ·
Terry -

The way I see it... the bulk of the fishing action never went too far beyond Chatham this year really. Some did, but the hot action got to the elbow and decided that was nirvana. SO whether you go to South BEach, Monomoy, Stage, or anywhere in the vicinity... you were probably going to have a quality time and find some slugs with stripes.

The thrill with the South Island was not in our lack of knowledge during the slack hours - but in the sheer exuberance during the "RIGHT TIME". In other words, given two hours to fish, would you go there during the peak time or during the "other" hours you mentioned?

I think I'd rather be there during the right time than most places on earth! We chose these dates to be "in the zone" for a greater part of the day.

Honestly, I have my doubts. How could it be that good and consistent too? Having done it only once, we only have the Estey's scouting trip and our first Tip clave as evidence. If we find the tip on fire again during the carefully chosen time slot, then my confidence would double. If the 26th is again hot when expected, I would be ready to call it as reliable as it is hot.

Frankly, I love Chatham light and fish it a lot. It is just like the outer beaches - purely hit or miss. Although I fished it in the time frame that others caught big fish, one of the days was the only skunk day (2.5 hours) I've had all day and all 50 or so anglers I met had not even seen a schoolie. Two days before, there were big pigs on the beach by 7am. Hit or miss.

Also, I acredit the significant number of legal or better bass this season for me on my dedication to fishing where the big fish are... Monomoy. Brewster started good but it always turns into a schoolie show after the herring run with occasional visits from Billingsgate hogs. The south cape shore is a scup and snapper show until the exotics come around this time of year. The outer beaches are always hit or miss, although the hit can be HUGE. Boston harbor has been a dud, north shore is simmering but not boiling and I wonder if Maine's even having a season?

Chatham is where it's at in 2000. Hope that's a sign of currents and temperatures, not a sign of too few fish to fill the usual areas up to normal.

Roop -

Try search.

#10 ·
Juro: excellent! Wading in the stream of conciousness!

I hope you guys do well. I'm just grumbling cause I'm packing for smallie country and I want to be on Cape...grumble grumble. Well, you will be happy to know I started a Bass Flybox. Got 4 froglike poppers in it and a bunch of Helgramite look alikes. Saving up for a 6 or 7 wt. Have a nice week ya'll!

Terry

#13 ·
Hey guys,
I could assumingly be persuaded to stay down for another day on Sunday 8/27 and include my friend Marc D. for the Day
HOPEFULLY THIS WILL HELP ROOP AND THE OTHERS GET OUT FOR THE DAY!!
Brian Z.

My only question Juro is what will happen if we get delayed going for 8/26? Will Keith take 2 boat trips out there for all of us on 8/27?

#14 ·
NOPE. If the 26th is cancelled, the 27th is not available as a back up because it's already booked. That's the way it goes.

Even though the tides are wrong we could book for this weekend as well. The mid-day slack would be dullsville, but it might make for a good beach day. Fishing would probably be questionable if not poor, but one never knows...

<b><center>BTW - WE ARE FULL UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE</center></b>

#17 ·
Juro,

Could you publish "the confirmed list" for the trip on the 26th. I believe Craig mentioned that's he'd confirmed for both he and I on that day, but like Roop, I didn't see a completed list.

Can't remember if you were on the 26th trip, but if not, we need someone to act as troop leader. Hmmm, troop, rhymes with Roop, doesn't it.......?

#20 ·
NOTICE: The 27th is Not Available. The 26th is already booked by us.

I've opened up Friday the 25th... please sign up if interested.

Here is the sign up sheet... <!--http--><a href="http://flyfishingforum.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=stripers&Post=405" target="_blank">HERE</a><!--url-->

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.