Fly Fishing Forum banner

smaller raft?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Steelheader69 
#1 ·
For a long time I was thinking about getting a pontoon boat for making floats after steelhead and trout. However after a lot of thinking I think a raft would better suit my needs, heres what I want: The ability to take class III whitewater, being able to row and have somebody else fish, be fairly small and somewhat lightweight, and have room for gear for overnight trips. Does anybody have any suggestions? I am thinking somethin in the 10 foot class would be about right but other then that im pretty much clueless, this is a totally new area for me. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated (manufacturers, etc.)

Thanks,
Ira

#2 ·
Small Raft

I would recommend an AIRE Super Puma or just a Puma. The Super is a little bigger and longer. Both are small and stable. They are a three man set- up. I have used both and they are very similar. You would need the fly- fishing frame, which includes the frame, seats, oar locks..etc.
They are great boats and two guys can grab a side and toss it in the back of a pick- up truck.
I did a fishing trip on the Green River in Utah in a Super Puma that my boss owns. At this one rapid all the Dory type boats had to "rope" their boats through the rapid with no one on board. It looked difficult and time consuming. We blasted right through that rapid in the Puma and never had a problem.
They have a web site with good info.
Good Luck!
<'((((((((><

#3 ·
Good ideas.

The Aire puma is a good way to go for a fishing raft. But you could also go and hit NRS (if you PM me I can give you the URL). They also sell Aire and their own brand of boats. I like the NRS better. Better material and no stitched seams (at least Aire used to, I used to run them and still run Aire catarafts). Plus, NRS sells fishing frame packages for rafts as well. Nice thing, you can easily modify for 2/3 man in no time with them. A bit pricey, but best way to go IMHO outside the cataraft realm. You could also check out Sotar as well. They may have raft fishing packages too. It's another option if you have to have the best of the best. Spectacular rafts and catarafts. Personally, I love the Steelheader's for catarafts, and stick by them. But we're talking rafts though. PM or email me, I'll give you the links to the above mentioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.