Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip - What to bring

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jimS 
#1 · (Edited)
OK... here is what you should bring..if I miss anything..well.. Look back on the previous trips... but think about not having a car to use as storage.. this is not necessarily covering everything but this is a full day without access to anything...Travel Light...Bring your usual fishing stuff.... If you forget anything others will have you covered.... Bring your first aid kit and food... the food you would take for a day out...water or other drinks(Peanuts and power bars are excellent as you all know).... sun sceen.... Tolet paper (Wrap in plastic bag)... Dave Fix uses leaves....but there are none on that island... so he will use sharp pine combs;) He can explain that to you..I am not a mental health professional.....cell phones..... walkee talkee if you have it... binoculars.... rain jacket... some other warm garment (just one.... don't overdo it...it's just a day)....Extra fly rod (Jim Simms will bring one..if someone else bring one..ok...don't everybody bring an extra rod... remember..travel light). The extra rod is incase someone breaks a tip(FredA is with us;)) Otherwise you can spend the day bird watchiong and beach combing....No Coolers.... too heavy and that will effect your flexability to explore your surroundings....Waders if you want... but I will not... You really can not wade too deep anyway and we will have plenty of breaks anyway...... I will have a GPS ,but we will not need it... we will be on the shore...so if anyone gets lost... I will not be able to explain that:eyecrazy: ..... Thats about it... ...I will bring a portable expresso maker, some canapes, Cheese and Cracker (not salteens but those French ones),Playboy Magazines.. and book an ammazon women bird watchers. If anyone gets captured .. we will definitly save you.... Can Jim Whalen give us the GPS coordinates on the beach chairs he buried two years ago.:hehe: And finally...no whinning... if we have walk..seriously... then figure its a great experience to be on that beach which is not allowed to everyone... and we can fish along the way... and pick up great fishing gear left by those who walk ahead of you since a walk like that seems to break the group up;) If the wind is down ... we go.... even cloudy... Keeep your fingers crossed..if this does not work out I will schedule another ..SOON.

See less See more
#5 ·
(set to the background music from the motion picture "Deliverance", starring Burt Reynolds, Ned Beatty, Ronny Cox, and a host of scary friggin' mountain people :eyecrazy: )

I have to wonder what kind of search party authorities would have to send out to find your sorry A$$e$, and how successful they'd be finding any trace of any of you after I got through with you in the 'wilderness' - with or without your fancy GPS.

Maybe I'd leave them a little clue - the Right Honorable Mayor's Ascot flapping from the end of his snapped Winston!!! :razz:

#7 ·
Dave... Yes.. call..But if we cancel and there are those already down here we will make the most of it and head to North Monomoy or South beach... with the outgoing... it will be fun to see all the fish on the flats ...tough to catch.. although the Crab Apple did not fail me this morning..... A nice day on North is the next best thing and is a great day also. Dave Fix.... Glad you will be down.... We have cars here and little paths that are wide and can fit these cars! You will be surprised and learn much form this "civilized" area... There are structures made of wood...yes Dave..wood!... not like the trees but made from trees... I will show you... They have openings we call windows... there is too much for me to explain ..I will show you around.

#8 ·
John - did you get one on the Apple this morning? What size hook? I will be tying some crabs tonight before heading down...and monster reel eels that will hopefully see some action tomorrow.

I'll be down all weekend. If we see them we will catch them. Pray for sun!

#9 · (Edited)
Yes.. the Apple did it's thing... settle nicely then a slight stwitch and BANG! Really glad since my past experiences were on a dead drift... Looking from the boat to the bottom the thing look so real... The 31 incher I caught was with two other fish... the one I lost was alone... a good Omen for that crab.. I will only fish that although we all know other crab patterns also work...Mike used a tan almost clear crab but it was a bueaty...look real also. I had a 2/0 verivas... need that gap... but I will even tye them smaller... One Crab apple finally fell apart after about an hour...the foam top came off but the crab keep it's shape..with the legs and all..so I was happy about that.

#10 ·
7/10 Report

John, Keith saide at 4:00 p.m. that it looks like about 25% chance that we can make SM in a.m. based on wind. He said he would post a reply. If that is the case, then we have the option of NM or SB.

North end of NM today yielded a big fish for Dave Browne, 100 yards into backing until the hook pulled out. He also bog a nice blonde keeper, and a schoolie. I was on the flats sightfishing for what it was worth with the cloud cover. Saw three cows, but no good cast into the wind. Wenty to the crib on the outgoing, managed one schoolie.

See ya on the causeway at 6:30 a.m.

Great report and good to hear the Crabapple was the fly of the day. Tried a crab pattern in the crib, but with no real confidence in it, went to the long eel.

Simms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.