Fly Fishing Forum banner

rip trip what to bring?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I will be going on my first rip trip and would love some suggestions on what to bring.
Thanks Larry

#2 ·
shadfreak (06-25-2001 09:33 p.m.):
I will be going on my first rip trip and would love some suggestions on what to bring.
Thanks Larry
GOOD QUESTION! Everyone who is confirmed will receive a complete information email in due time.

But... to answer your question:

Basically the same stuff you'd bring to fish Monomoy Island or any daytime striper fishery...

Sunblock, water, lunch, light layered clothing (long sleeve) over shorts and summer clothing.

Waders are only needed if the weather is lousy, but typically this is a great place to fish in shorts.

Hat w/ visor, sunglasses.

Sinking line, intermediate is fine for slack but sinking is important in any rip.

Bring flies that imitate sand eels, squid, baitfish, etc. Big flies work well but you need to consider the condition of your arm as well.

Rip Ryder runs this as a "you're on your own" kind of event. Be responsible and bring whatever you will need.

Camera is nice to have out there too. Many of us will have cell phones in case of emergency. A backpack is a nice way to carry your stuff around.

My approach is to pack as light as possible without leaving anything out.

Look for the email info when we're all decided on dates and details.

#4 ·
There are limited sight fishing opportunities on the shoals to the north on the inside of the island within walking distance, but the only place where a ladder would be appropriate is on the real flats several miles to the north.

You'd best leave the ladder in the garage for this one, although I know you are just kidding. The real reason (I hope) is that you'll be too busy battling fish in the rip to worry about sight fishing!

Ooops I hope I haven't jinxed anything... ;-)

#10 ·
Yes, a small cooler is handy. There is literally a mile on each side of the island for each person so there is plenty of room to roam, but being the sociable type we like to take breaks from the action, compare notes together, eat lunch, etc.
You can just leave the cooler in a convenient location and the only thing you need to worry about is those damn seagulls! ;-)

#12 ·
I've had luck with three basic flies. In order of preference:

1. Squid - pink, then orange, then white

2. Deep sand eel pattern

3. Drifted crab

A couple of weeks ago the "Big Ugly" worked well on the cruising fish on the western part of the tip. The Big Ugly is basically a chart. & white clouser with some chart. grizzly on the sides.

#13 ·
John -

Since the tides are all wrong in early August I might try to break your walking record from last year when we finally get out there. We've been informed that there were acres of bass in shallow water to the north, which is longer than a 1/2 mile walk but it could be worth it.

The actual point has it's downsides, it's reputation always attracts incompetent boaters trying to be fishermen. I'll never forget the bozos who, with the entire sound at their disposal, the flats to the north, and birds working out in the rips - would get envious of our success and try to fish wherever we would catch a schoolie. Talk about pathetic! Give me the boat, I'll find fish without harassing shore anglers. It seemed their own shame drove them away.

If it happens I'll take lots of photographs for examples of what NOT to do with a boat by posting them all over the internet! I'll even bring a video camera too, for mpegs with sound. }>

Last year we only had one shorebound idiot show up that I recall. Sometimes it only takes one. He was a bait guy who kept schoolies. One of us clavers lectured him on his mistake - and he let it go dead!

Oh well, you can never get away completely no matter how hard you try, BUT it doesn't get any better than an isolated uninhabited island refuge with a 15 mile boat ride from the nearest dock. In the scope of things, it's probably as far from the usual crap as we can get.

Can't wait!!!

BTW - since the dates are out there a bit, maybe we should have another clave in the interim? ;-)

#18 ·
Aww the memories, it seems like only yesterday....

I had moved to the end of the conga line to help some of the less experienced Ripper's, I'm casting away, thinking about how to make that spot work when I notice a small Sea Ray type boat had inched closer & closer. No big deal right?

Then I feel the splash from their lure landing next to me!!!

I enjoyed watching all of us hook up as their boat started to stink of skunk!!!!

#19 ·
We have a pair of radios we will bring. What is the deal on wet wading? Should we bring waders to ward off temp. and sun or would pants with zippered legs suffice? Do we need to bring our large cooler for the use of all? Is Red Bull a definite no where Roop will be around? This involves more planning than a rehersal party.

#20 ·
Wet wading:

If it's the typical hot summer day then the waders are overkill because you don't need to stand more than knee deep in most spots. I usually wear the breathables for the ride out, take them off when it gets hot, then put them back on heading home. Some days were so hot I never put them on at all. Breathables are the way to go for sure.

Big cooler is overkill and probably means we are asking you to do too much. If everyone packs a snack, small lunch and drink then we'll get by without it. I would love to be the benefactor of anything you could bring in a big cooler, believe me, after sampling your cooking and sandwiches - but I think you should give yourself a break and let us worry about ourselves this time due to the circumstances.

That being said people should bring snacks, enough drinks to last morning until late afternoon, and a satisfying lunch. Out there, a piece of bread with a slice of something in it and warm water has a way of being satisfying.

#22 ·
That's a great idea, I have one of those that fold up into a small bag too.

Here's a stab at a list:

Backpack w:
- small softside cooler with blue ice and
+ water
+ snack bars
+ sandwiches
+ drinks
- first aid kit
- cell phone
- sunblock
- 8mm video camera

I already carry a bunch of stuff in my chest pack like compass, etc - we've already been through that one recently ;) Three full flyboxes this time.

Big items:

- Folding compact chair
- Extra rod/reel in rod case

I am not bringing a plastic cooler, I'm bringing the chair instead because it's so compact, and it will be nice to sit down after exploring.

Total:

Backpack, folding chair in nylon sack and spare rod in rod case. Chest pack as usual, clothing to suit the weather, and that should do it!

Note: The 10wt Sage VPS 4-pc travel rod would be the ticket for a spare rod! It would fit inside the backpack. Man I gotta get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.